This upcoming Formula 1 season will see several large changes to the sport. First, there have been new rules implemented for the 2022 season. According to Sky Sports, the three main changes are the implementation of a ground-effect floor, simplified aero components, and 18-inch tires with wheel winglets. The ground-effect, a concept which was popular back in the 1970s, causes a suction effect between the car and the tarmac which provides downforce—a downwards force that allows cars to move faster—without the drag that is caused by rear and front wings. Simplified front wings are responsible for narrowing air flow and decreasing the effectiveness of the Drag Reduction System. DRS is a system that opens the rear wing on straights to encourage overtaking, i.e. passing other cars on the track. The new front wing not only changes airflow but also improves the visual aesthetic of the vehicles. Lastly, the new tires should allow drivers to have better control of their cars while racing. The new rules have been said to “even the playing field,” according to many drivers on the grid. 

On Feb. 25, 10 teams had the opportunity to put their cars to the test on the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya in Barcelona, Spain. Planet F1 reports that the fastest lap was set by Lewis Hamilton and Mercedes. The seven-time world champion laid down 184 laps with his fastest lap time being 1:19.138. Red Bull and Max Verstappen claim that they are not currently racing for time and the team plans on displaying their true ability during the first race of the season in Bahrain on March 20.

Due to the recent conflict with Ukraine, Russia has been condemned by the Fédération Internationale de l'Automobile who has decided to strip the Russian Grand Prix from the 2022 F1 calendar. FIA President Mohammed bin Sulayem spoke out, saying, “As you know, the FIA is watching the developments in Ukraine with sadness and shock and I hope for a swift and peaceful resolution to the present situation.” The FIA later released a full statement with the new policies they have implemented. 

The following is a list of the main policy changes outlined in the statement: No international/zone competitions are to take place in Russia and Belarus until further notice. No flag, symbol, or anthem of Russia or Belarus will be used in international or zone competitions until further notice. The Haas car has since been repainted in order to remove the white, blue, and red—the colors of the Russian flag—on their car’s front wings. Uralkali, a Russian company, has also been dropped by the HAAS team due to the conflict. No Russian or Belarusian national teams can participate in international or zone competitions, e.g. FIA Motorsport Games, until further notice. The Russian and Belarusian drivers, individual competitors, and officials can only participate in international and zone competitions and under the FIA flag. 

On March 5, the Haas team finally put out a statement claiming they have dropped the Russian driver Nikita Mazepin, despite the rule previously mentioned. The statement declared that no Russian or Belarusian national symbols, colors, or flags should be displayed on uniforms, equipment, or cars, and that Russian and Belarusian anthems should not be played at international or zone competitions. FIA representatives from Russia and Belarus have been ordered to step aside temporarily from their roles. Also, no FIA grant will be awarded to the Russian or Belarusian FIA Members, and no existing FIA grant funding will be paid to the Russian or Belarusian FIA members. Lastly, upon the proposal of the F1 Commercial Rights Holder, the 2022 Russian F1 Grand Prix will be canceled for reasons of force majeure. In this case force majeure means ​​unforeseeable circumstances that prevent someone from fulfilling a contract.