Former Raiders Player Henry Ruggs III was speeding at 156 mph when he rear-ended another car, as reported to NPR by prosecutors in Las Vegas. Las Vegas resident Tina O. Tintor, age 23, was killed. The accident took place in a residential area several miles west of the Las Vegas strip at 3:39 a.m. this past Tuesday, according to ESPN.   

After the accident, Ruggs and his girlfriend Kiar Je’nai Kilgo-Washington were both hospitalized with severe injuries. Ruggs and Kilgo-Washington were in a Chevrolet Corvette, and they rear ended a Toyota Rav4 that burst into flames, killing Tintor and her dog, according to a Nov. 3 ESPN article. Police stated that Ruggs showed “signs of impairment” and was hospitalized with “serious” injuries. Once released from University Medical Center, Ruggs was booked into the Clark County Detention Center. The judge set Rugg’s bail at $150,000, which was paid. As of Wednesday night, Ruggs was no longer in custody at Clark County Detention Center. In agreement with his release, Ruggs is required to abstain from drugs and alcohol, hand over his passport and remains prohibited from driving. 

Henry Ruggs III is an NFL wide receiver who is currently a free agent since being released by the Raiders this past Tuesday following the vehicle crash. Prosecutors reported to NPR that Ruggs was driving with a blood alcohol level that is twice Nevada’s legal limit. Ruggs currently faces felony charges of driving under the influence and reckless driving. 

According to ESPN, Clark County District Attorney Steve Wolfson did not immediately respond to messages about the charges. According to Nevada state law probation is not an option for Riggs because his DUI resulted in death. Ruggs’ charge carries a possible sentence of two to 20 years in state prison, and the reckless driving is one to six years with probation available.  

David Chesnoff and Richard Schonfield, who are representing Ruggs, said that they are currently investigating the crash, and they ask that everyone reserve their judgment until all the facts are gathered. Chesnoff and Schonfield have experience with cases like this because they represented Raiders running back Josh Jacobs after he was arrested for a DUI.

The Raiders sent out a brief statement the night of the crash where they announced Rugg’s release. The Raiders have issued a statement, saying, “we are devastated by the loss of life and our thoughts and prayers go out to the victims’ families,” according to a Nov. 3 CBS article.