Dean of Students

Dean of Students Jamele Adams will resign from his position on Friday, April 9, according to an April 2 email to the Brandeis community from Vice President of Student Affairs Raymond Lu-Ming Ou. 

Adams has decided to pursue a new professional opportunity, which he will discuss once he is able to disclose more information, Ou explained. 

Ou commended Adams for his impact on the University, students and co-workers. “Jamele’s departure leaves us with a void, both because of his charismatic personality and the important work that he has done,” Ou wrote.  

Students have the opportunity to say goodbye and wish Adams good luck on April 8 over Zoom.  

This is a continuing story.

Commencement 2021

The University announced details pertaining to the Class of 2021’s Commencement, in a March 31 email sent to the Brandeis community from President Ron Liebowitz, Provost and Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs Carol A. Fierke and Vice President of Student Affairs Raymond Lu-Ming Ou.

The email, which provided brief updates, explained that students will have the opportunity to have their photos taken on stage in the Levin Ballroom between May 5-7. 

Beginning in April, students will also have the chance to participate in a mix of outdoor and virtual activities, including giveaways, games and scavenger hunts. 

Seniors will be receiving a package containing graduation caps, tassels and “festive contents,” the email explained. 

Commencement day, which will take place on May 23, will be broadcast virtually. Undergraduate and graduate speakers are still being selected, according to the email. Once it is safe to gather in large groups without masks, the classes of 2020 and 2021 will be invited to an in-person ceremony, projected to take place in the spring of 2022. 

“We believe the in-person and virtual events our teams are building will provide our graduates and their families with meaningful ways to mark this significant milestone, and we look forward to celebrating our newest alumni in person as soon as possible,” the email said. 

Prevention, Advocacy and Resource Center

April is recognized as Sexual Awareness Month, and the Prevention, Advocacy & Resource Center announced two upcoming virtual events, Take Back the Night and Denim Day, in an April 1 email to the Brandeis community. The events, intended to start conversations about sexual violence, will take place on April 15 and April 28, respectively.

In addition to these annual events, PARC and campus partners will be hosting virtual events throughout the month to discuss topics related to sexual violence, the email explained.