During a brief Senate meeting on Sunday, Student Union Vice President Kendal Chapman ’22 directed a discussion regarding incentives for senators to attend more Senate meetings. 

One senator proposed paying senators as an incentive for accountability. Chapman acknowledged the balance between Senate positions being viewed as jobs opposed to passions, and questioned whether or not making positions paid would take away from the passion aspect. 

Chapman also proposed a brain-storming session between the Student Union Executive Board and the Senate to promote clearer communication between the two branches. She reported that the E-Board is working on improving meeting attendance and setting guidelines for excused absences. 

Additionally, Chapman said the E-Board is seeking to improve outreach and increase diversity in order to represent the whole Brandeis community. 

Chapman first announced that a “take your professor to coffee” program is underway, but she said there are a few minor challenges in relation to Conference and Event Services.

COMMITTEE CHAIR REPORTS

Facilities and Housing Committee Chair Trevor Filseth ’20 reported on a meeting with Assistant Dean of Student Affairs Tim Touchette regarding access to bathrooms in East Quad. According to Filseth, many students who do not live in East Quad have been using the residence hall’s bathrooms because they are close to the main campus. After the meeting, the two decided to require key cards to access the Quad’s bathrooms. 

Club Support Committee Chair Joseph Coles ’22 reported that he held office hours last week to discuss his proposed expansion to the club consultant bylaw, which would mandate that chartered clubs have a faculty or staff consultant. Coles acknowledged that the bylaw is unpopular, but said he is still working on gathering more input from students. 

Rules Committee Chair Scott Halper ’20 reported that he met with the Department of Community Living about the alleged mold outbreak in Deroy Residence Hall. Halper said that there is no definitive proof of mold, but acknowledged that students are still concerned. Additionally, Halper reported that he decided to investigate the allegations himself, and said he saw “potentially mold growth.” According to Halper, Touchette referred to this wave of student concern as an issue that does not pertain to mold, rather to students being unhappy with their living conditions.

—Editor’s Note: Jocelyn Gould is an editor on the Justice and works at Conferences and Events Services.