The Waltham City Council will officially consider the matter of the possible purchase of a University of Massachusetts property on Beaver Street, which includes the Waltham Field Station and historic farmland, according to an Oct. 19 Patch Waltham article.

Patch reported that Mayor Jeanette McCarthy’s application for $14 million in Community Preservation Act funds has been approved by the city’s Community Preservation Committee.

The Waltham Field Station, currently known as the UMass Waltham Center, is “by far the largest of the three existing farms in the City, and is known to have the best soils available in the city, if not the entire Metrowest region,” according to the Waltham Land Trust.

The Waltham Land Trust also said it is a tenant of the site “along with a dozen other non-profits, educational programs and community groups.”

A Nov. 28, 2018 Patch Waltham article had previously reported that UMass announced that it was choosing to close the Waltham Fields Farm’s administrative office space in June 2018. UMass had offered the alternative of moving the offices to its Mount Ida campus in Newton, but Patch reported that many Waltham residents prefer for it to stay in Waltham.

With elections coming up for Waltham City Council and mayoral positions, many candidates have been asked about the purchase of the farmlands, and most have said they are in favor of it, according to a questionnaire sent out by the Waltham Community Fields Farm.

UMass acquired the property in a will after the death of Cornelia Warren in 1922, according to the same Oct. 19 Patch Waltham article.