The men’s and women’s tennis teams continue their 2018–2019 season with 5-match  and 3-match winning streaks, respectively. Here is how the past few matches break down.

Men’s Tennis

On Wednesday, the Judges took on Babson College and won with an impressive 8–1 victory. In terms of doubles, David Aizenberg ’20 and Anupreeth Coramutla ’21 beat Babson’s Brandon Rosenbluth and Alberto De Mendiola, 8–2. Even more impressive was the 8–0 lead that Jeff Chen ’22 and Adam Tzeng ’22 had over Babson’s Chris Kolesnik and Andre Libnic. The one loss for the men of the day was Tyler Ng ’19 and Colt Tegtmeier ’22, with a score of 6–8. In singles, Aizenberg beat De Mendiola 2–6, 2–6, Coramulta beat Rosenbluth 6–1, 6–2, Tzeng beat Kolesnik 6–2, 6–0, Nikhil Das ’21 beat Babson’s Ron Brody 6–3, 6–1, Rajan Vohra ’21 beat Zhang 7–5, 2–0 and Ng beat Babson’s Rafael Premisleaner 6–0, 6–0, according the Brandeis Athletic site. 

The men also demolished Wheaton College of Massachusetts with a sweeping 9–0 victory, winning all of their singles and doubles matchups, with Nico Ramirez ’22 conquering Wheaton’s Jeremiah Ryser 6–0, 6–1 in the highlight of the tournament. Most recently, the Judges were undefeated against Endicott College 6–0, the most impressive match being Ben Maffa ’21 who beat Endicott’s Cooper Walters 6–0, 6–0. The Judges are now 12–2 overall and have played no matches in the University Athletic Association. 

Women’s Tennis

The women have most recently won their past two matches against Wheaton College and Babson College undefeated by scores of 9–0 and 6–0, respectively. The women are now 6–4 and have not played any matches in the UAA. 

In doubles play against Wheaton, the women dominated the court. Particularly spectacular was an 8–0 victory by Olivia Leavitt ’19 and Lauren Bertsch ’21. They demolished Wheaton’s Ines de Bracamonte and Miriam Galindo Cerrada. That was the most notable victory of the day for the women. In their sweep against Babson College, the most impressive matchup was in singles when Leavitt crushed Nastasia Tamarkin of Babson 6–0, 6–0.

Both team’s are led by head coach Ben Lamanna and assistant coach Christo Schultz. Lamada is a graduate of Bates college in 2002  and enters his 14th season as a coach of Brandeis. Two of Lamanas assistant coaches at Brandeis University have been named ITA National Assistant Coaches of the Year, indluding Payum Payman in the year 2011 and Pauri Pandian  in the year 2015. In 2018, assistant coach Michael Kopelman was awarded men’s regional assistant coach of the year. Christo Schltz is in his first season with the Judges after graduating from Harvard University in 2015.

Both tennis teams are having pretty successful seasons and have won more games than they have lost. Looking ahead, the Judges will face Wellesley College on Friday and New York University on Saturday. The men will face Bowdoin College on Saturday and NYU on Sunday.