Lynch named as one of top 35 women in higher education

The magazine Diverse: Issues in Higher Education selected Provost Lisa Lynch as one of the top 35 women in higher education, according to a March 26 BrandeisNOW article. Per the same article, their eighth annual report celebrates the contributions of women to higher education.

Lynch was recognized as a “internationally known labor economist, a leader with experience working in the highest levels of academia and government and is a compassionate teacher and scholar,” according to the Diverse Education’s list.

In her past role as dean of the Heller School for Social Policy and Management, she “strengthened financial support” and increased graduate student enrollment as well as the number of dual-degree programs offered by Heller. 

Student Union pens statement on upcoming Title IX legislation

In an April 8 email to the Brandeis community, the Student Union announced its “unequivocal” support of the upcoming package of bills regarding Title IX that will be presented to the Massachusetts Joint Committee on Higher Education today. By endorsing this legislation, the Union seeks to “[demonstrate] unity in our support for both survivors and prevention efforts” in “uncertain times for education policy.”

The first bill, an “act requiring sexual misconduct climate surveys at institutions of higher education,” would create a 21-member task force “charged with drafting a standardized campus climate survey” and will be under the oversight of the Commissioner on Higher Education, per the email. The second bill, an “act relative to sexual violence on higher education campuses,” would codify Obama-era policies. It would provide training for employees on “trauma-informed” responses to sexual assault claims, increase communication between administrators and students and create a “confidential resource advisor position on every campus” in the state.

The email was signed by Union President Hannah Brown ’19 and Vice President Aaron Finkel ’19, who provided a number of on-campus resources for students who have experienced violence, including the Prevention Advocacy and Resource Center, the Title IX Office and the Brandeis Counseling Center. In addition, Brown and Finkel urged members of the community to call Massachusetts legislators and submit written or oral testimony. 

They also encouraged students to sign a petition supporting the efforts of advocacy group “Every Voice Coalition” to support the passage of the bills, which has 90,773 signatures as of press time.