The Brandeis women’s basketball team is now in the midst of a two-game losing streak following their most recent loss against Gordon College, as they continue their 2018-19 season. The Judges now sit with an overall record of 3–5 and have yet to play any conference games against University Athletic Association rivals. The Judges continue to press forward despite having only eight healthy players on their roster, according to the Brandeis Athletics website, proving a hurdle for the team.

Babson 66, Judges 59

In a tight match against Babson College that took place on Dec. 3, the Judges dropped to a 3–4 overall record. During the game, Kat Puda ’21 led the Judges in points with a total of 17 scored, according to the Brandeis Athletics website. Puda also led in rebounds per game, with a total of seven, and Camila Casanueva ’21 led the team with five assists. The Judges were not behind the whole game, though. Casanueva made five three-point shots, and the first four put the Judges ahead 14–8 about half way through the first quarter. With 4:59 to go in the second quarter, Babson tied the score at 24–24. However, heading into halftime, the Judges were ahead and the score was 34–29. 

However, right out of the gate in the second half, the Beavers proved to be a strong force. They scored three out of their first four possessions of the third quarter, but the score was tied at 39 points with 7:13 left in the third quarter. With 5:06 left in the quarter, the Beavers pulled ahead in their first lead since the beginning of the game. After a 9–2 run from Brandeis, putting the Judges ahead, Babson had their own 7–0 run and recaptured the lead with a score of 51–50. Puda put the Judges ahead with a score of 51–53 after a three-point shot with only 7:15 left in the game, but with 6:12 left of play, the Beavers tied the score at 57 and then Puda tied the score again, rather quickly, at 59. However, despite the Judges’ best efforts, a three-point shot by Spellacy and four more points from Babson junior Katherine Tamulionis captured the win for the Beavers 66–59. This game improved the Beavers to 3–2 overall. The Judges moved on to take on Gordon College on Saturday.

Gordon 57, Judges 48

The Judges lost their second game in a row to Gordon College in an away game on Saturday. Casanueva led the game in terms of points, rebounds and assists with 11, nine and six, respectively. The Judges fell to 3–5 for the season, and the Fighting Scots improved to 3–7. The Judges started out strong and led 21–14 after just one quarter, but the Scots blew past the Judges in the second quarter. Gordon College outscored the Judges in this quarter alone 18–5, and the Judges trailed the rest of the game. In terms of three-point scoring, the Judges were very far behind the Scots. The Judges only made three of the 24 attempts of three-point shots, coming out to a total of 12.5 percent. In contrast, the Scots scored 13 out of their 35 attempts at three-point shots, coming out to a total of 37.1 percent. 

In addition to Casanueva, other players did contribute to the Judge’s score. Sarah Jaromin ’19 and Ellery Riccio ’19 each scored nine points, contributes to the Judge’s total score. Amber Graves ’20 scored 10 points, just one point off of Casanueva, the leader.

The Judges will end the semester with one more game on Dec. 11 against Roger Williams University. Whether the team till continue on this losing streak or not remains to be seen.