This week, justArts interviewed Adina Jacobson ’20, who starred as the baker’s wife in “Into the Woods”.

justArts: How did you react when you found out you got this huge role?

Adina Jacobson: I was so excited, I started crying. ... [My] boyfriend called me and told me I got the role and I just freaked out. 

JA: Have you done this show before?

AJ: I actually have, when I was in fifth grade. We did “Into the Woods Junior,” so not the second act, because it is a little raunchy. I was the Baker and my best friend was my wife.

JA: Was any of this nostalgic for you, being that you acted in this when you were so young? Did any of the songs carry over into your memory?

AJ: ... You know, the first one was so long ago, and I was so young, and it wasn’t the full show. ... and I felt that this was my chance to really do the full show, and definitely the songs carried over. I’ve loved the show ever since I was 10 years old.

JA: What is your favorite song from the show? It doesn’t have to be one that you sing.

AJ: That’s so hard. I’d say the finale of the show. It is like “No One is Alone” and it starts with the Baker’s Wife singing “No One is Alone” and goes into “The Children will Listen” and then goes into “Into the Woods.”

JA: Isn’t this your second time playing Justin’s [Chimoff ’20] wife in a show?

AJ: Yeah! Last time we were boyfriend and girlfriend, yeah.

JA: How was it working with him? Do you feel like your chemistry has developed, because you worked with him as his significant other before?

AJ: Yeah, and this was funny because it is almost like Ariel and Ren (Footloose) almost 10 years in the future, which I think was really fun! And, yeah, it was just really great to work with with him again.

JA: How does this show compare to others you have been in at Brandeis?

AJ: Honestly, I have had a really great experience in all of my shows at Brandeis. This one was a huge time commitment, beyond anything I have ever done, so I have gotten so close with the cast, which is amazing. But I have had a really great experience in all of my shows; I can’t complain.

JA: What, overall, was your favorite part of the whole experience?

AJ: There are so many. I think the cast was just unbelievable; bonding with people in the cast, getting to know them and getting to work with them, with such a great group of people, was great and I am so lucky to have been a part of that.

JA: Is there anything else you wanted to add?

AJ: I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who helped make this show possible, to everyone who came out and supported us, and it was just a really great run!

—Lizzie Grossman