Student Union President Jacob Edelman ’18 came to the Senate’s weekly meeting to discuss the reasoning behind the purchase of a television in the Student Union conference room. The purchase was previously met with mixed reception in the Nov. 12 Senate meeting, with multiple senators expressing concerns that the television was an unnecessary expenditure.

Edelman stated that he “should have consulted the Senate first” before going forward with the purchase of the television.

Charles River Senator Oliver Price ’20 added that “the purchase of the TV made sense … the majority would have agreed [to the purchase] in a vote.”

Union Communications Director Callahan Cox ’18 announced that the Union will be partnering with the University administration to hold a viewing party of the Nobel Prize ceremony for winners Profs. Michael Rosbash (BIO) and Jeffrey Hall (BIO) on Dec. 10. 

Student Union Vice President Hannah Brown ’19 reported that she heard back from Board of Trustees representatives about the Board’s recent meeting. The Board discussed fossil fuel divestment, mental health and how to increase the University’s prestige.

Dining Committee chair and Class of 2020 Senator Jonathan Chen reported that the committee discussed creating a subcommittee in charge of kosher food. Price met with Vice President of Campus Operations Jim Gray about meal plan requirements for students in off-campus housing. 

Club Support Committee chair and Class of 2020 Senator Tal Richtman reported that the committee had reflected on its recent club support workshop and how it could be improved. Richtman stated that the committee will be holding another workshop at the beginning of next semester. The committee had a discussion regarding probationary clubs and miscommunication with the Allocations Board on when the clubs are allowed full access to funding.

Price, also a member of the Sustainability Committee, stated that the committee is considering creating a student EcoRep position. The EcoRep would educate students about better eating habits and more sustainable living practices.

Class of 2018 Senator Abhishek Kulkarni suggested that the Union provide funding for student-made apps which have an aim of helping the Brandeis community.

Richtman announced that the deadline for the Community Emergency and Enhancement Fund has been pushed back to after Thanksgiving break so that the community could submit more proposals.

International Senator Linfei Yang ’20 stated that he will be beta-testing a system for international students who are staying on campus over winter break to be aware of special dining hours.

Brown added that there will be elections for vacant seats in the student Judiciary and Allocation Board, as well as the Midyear Senator.

Racial Minority Senator Hangil Ryu ’20 reported that he met with  a candidate for the position of director of Diversity, Education and Training. During their meeting, the candidate put forth an idea for an umbrella organization for clubs representing people of color.

Village Quad Senator Richard Kisack Jr. ’19 reminded the Union of the “Giving Tuesday” event on Nov. 28. 

—Emily Blumenthal