It is no secret that celebrities have won over our attention; they fill us with joy, make us weep at our television screens and run our bank accounts thin with their new releases. Most importantly, though, they can compel us to listen. Beyoncé, for example, has a name that is almost universally known. While the icon has a slew of accolades, one of the most relevant now is her commitment to social justice.  From her 2014 Video Music Awards medley performance proudly proclaiming herself as a feminist to her 2016 music video “Formation,” which brought attention to the rampant police violence in our society, Beyoncé has illustrated why it is important for celebrities to speak out.

Such importance has been demonstrated most recently; A plethora of notable figures has spoken out in condemnation of Harvey Weinstein’s sexual harassment allegations. George Clooney, Jennifer Lawrence and Jessica Chastain have all made public statements urging society to denounce Weinstein, according to an Oct. 13 Washington Post article. Clooney referred to the actions as “indefensible,” and Lawrence called his actions “inexcusable and absolutely upsetting.” Chastain expressed concern about allowing abuse to continue: “To deny [the stories] is to create an environment for it to happen again.” 

By shedding light on a situation that is rarely mentioned, the aforementioned stars demonstrate the need for more celebrities to use their voices for social justice. By the very nature of being in the spotlight — starring in blockbuster movies, singing in Billboard Top 100 songs, or even posting amusing videos —  those who have the media’s attention simply stand out more than us regular folk. As such, they have the platform needed to make a difference and encourage change.

Emma Watson is a prime example. After collecting an abundance of devotees post-“Harry Potter,” she has become an outspoken proponent of gender equality, speaking at the United Nations and continuously representing her charity HeForShe, according to a Sept. 22, 2014 article in The Telegraph

Additionally, both Elton John and Alicia Keys have been vanguards for the fight against HIV/AIDS through their respective charities, Elton John Aids Foundation and Keep A Child Alive, according to a Nov. 11, 2015 article in Billboard. Angelina Jolie and Sean Penn have been involved in global humanitarian issues with their extensive list of accomplishments, including Jolie’s movements to open schools in the Middle East and Penn’s 2017 fundraiser “Haiti Rising,” wherein he gathered celebrities together to raise money for the Haitian relief efforts, according to a May 10 article in the New York Times. Also, Leonardo DiCaprio and Mark Ruffalo have been major supporters of bettering the environment, with DiCaprio’s fundraisers bustling with famous faces (evidenced in a July 27 Vanity Fair article)  and Ruffalo’s fundraisers for his foundation, Water Defense, just to name a few.

However, there are still celebrities that use their status primarily for their own benefit. The Kardashians, for instance, have become a staple in our 21st century lives, and even though it may not be completely clear why any of them are noteworthy, where they lead we will follow. This includes buying any product that they promote. 

According to a Dec. 17, 2015 Huffington Post article, Kendall Jenner and her model friends Gigi Hadid and Cara Delevigne all make $300,000 per Instagram post. Yes, $300,000. That is more than some people may earn in 10 years.  Knowing the magnitude of their influence, it is no wonder then that celebrities get paid an exorbitant amount of money to promote products on their various social media accounts. These famous figures receive more money than they have use for and companies make a profit from the fans who find any and every way to replicate their idols and their lifestyles. 

Of course, the dollar amount depends on the star’s rank in Hollywood, but suffice it to say even “D-listers” are rolling in what they make from sponsored content. While social media  followers may think that they are lucky enough to use the same face cream that Kim Kardashian applies to her perfect skin, more often than not, Kim K’s only experience with the product is those few seconds she spends taking a selfie with it. 

This trend has inspired the Federal Trade Commission to tighten its rules on celebrities posting ambiguous ads, according to a Jun. 14 article from Bloomberg. Now, stars have to signal by hashtag or by tagging the company that the sneakers, teeth whitening kits or detox teas they are posing with pay for their Bentleys. Though this may not diminish sales, it does make it clear that celebrities are being paid for these promotions, rather than sharing their own ideas. 

With this being said, there is nothing inherently wrong with celebrities using their fame to make more money with these ads, but their time is better spent raising awareness for issues that actually matter. 

Considering our modern obsession with television, movies and all things pop culture, celebrities have found their way into not just our homes but our hearts as well. This makes it all the more significant that they use this popularity to inspire change from their enthusiasts. Celebrities need to recognize just how impressionable their audience is and choose to use their fame to shed light on worthy causes and uplift those without a voice.