The women’s soccer team has made stellar improvements right from the start as it came away with two wins this past week.

Judges 1, Wentworth 0

Brandeis women’s soccer finished an undefeated week with a score of 1-0 against Wentworth Institute of Technology.  This advanced the team’s record to 3-1 two weeks into the season. The Judges put their endurance on display through two scoreless halves, leading them to overtime. The match remained scoreless through the first overtime, leading to a second extra frame. The Judges stepped it up in this final period and ultimately came away with the game-winning goal to send the Judges home happy.

Despite the extended length of the match, the Judges never backed down against their opponents. On defense, many of the players on the turf made great efforts to preserve the shutout; especially impressive was goalkeeper Sierra Dana ’20, who took her first career win from earlier this week and used it to drive her on Saturday. She did not allow any goals from the other team, making it another perfect week.  On offense, the Judges were unable to find much success in regulation, as they attempted 24 shots on net without a score.  Forward Sasha Sunday ’19 put the team on her back in the second overtime, though, as she finally put one past the Wentworth goalkeeper for the hardfought victory.

Judges 2, Bridgewater State 0

Brandeis started the week strong with a 2-0 win against Bridgewater State University in the first home match of the season. With a scoreless first half, both teams’ defensive play was noticeably tough. However, in the second half, the Judges showed off their strength with two goals close to the end of the half within nine minutes of each other. The Judges’ defense held strong until the end as they notched their first shutout win of the week. 

Again throughout the game, the Judges showed spectacular defense across the turf. Specifically, Dana showed much resilience as she did not let Bridgewater State put points on the scoreboard. Her endurance throughout the almost two-hour long game started her week off strong and showed her immense potential for future games this season. Turning to the offense, forward Katie Romanovich ’21, in her debut performance with Brandeis, showed off her skills with a goal for the Judges. Similarly, forward Julia Matson ’19 was a leader on offense, netting a goal of her own for the dominant squad.  

After reaching the National Collegiate Athletic Associate Final Four last season, the Judges had high hopes coming into this season.  With  a subsequently high preseason ranking as well, the squad was well known around Division III athletics as a force to be reckoned with.  With players having graduated though, it remained to be seen if new and returning players alike were going to step it up in  the most competitive of stages.  After a season-opening loss, the team has completely turned it around with three consecutive victories.  The veterans on this team have come up clutch for Brandeis and appear to be hungry for another NCAA tournament birth.  Players who are new to the action this season, like Dana, have looked anything but out of place.  Dana has held her own in superior fashion, as seen by her two shutout wins this past week.  The squad appears to be on a roll, and it does not look like they are planning to stop anytime soon.

The Judges are off to an excellent start this year and will look to continue their recent success this Wednesday on the road against Eastern Connecticut State University.  The team will attempt to earn its fourth consecutive win.