The University named Robin Nelson-Bailey as the next Vice President for Human Resources on May 9. Reporting to Senior Vice President and Chief Operating Officer Steven Manos, Nelson-Bailey will lead a team of 15 in managing all human resources work at the University, including staff compensation, employee relations, benefits and legal compliance. She will assume the role on June 6.

Nelson-Bailey comes to the University after working a similar position at MassBay Community College for seven years as the Vice President of Human Resources, Labor Relations, Compliance, and Affirmative Action. In a press release from Brill Neumann, an executive search firm that worked to fill the position at Brandeis, Manos said that Nelson-Bailey’s title “speaks to the breadth of her experience and expertise. Robin is able to see the world not only from an organizational perspective but also through the eyes of employees of all stripes.”

As the Vice President for Human Resources, Nelson-Bailey will serve on the Senior Management Team, the group of foremost administrative leaders across the University. She will also join the Integrated Planning and Budget Committee, which discusses budgetary needs and priorities across all the different schools and parts of the University, and the Policy Committee. Nelson-Bailey will also be responsible for the University’s communication with unions, including the Service Employees International Union, which represents adjunct and part-time contract faculty, and the Brandeis University Police Association, the Union of Campus Police.

Nelson-Bailey’s job description for the role includes a call for applicants with technology skills to help make the HR office’s listing of staff the listing of record and moving to an online system for enrolling in benefits. She will also be a senior partner in diversity and inclusion initiatives across the campus.

Nelson-Bailey fills a role that has been held temporarily by Michelle Scichilone, the assistant vice president of human resources, since March 2015, when Scot Bemis resigned to take a job at Dartmouth College.

—Max Moran