In response to Seth Greenwald’s article “Criticize the University’s proposed $10,000 graduate stipend” (March 7):

Stipends and full scholarships are a regular part of graduate programs, and they by no means "[flip] the playing field." They are very different from undergraduate education because, as a graduate student, you are effectively working for the University.

It is not a question of where the money is coming from. It is a question of whether or not the stipend should exist — which you do not address at all. The Posse model simply means that the students come in as a group with a built-in support network as a means to reduce drop-outs.

I am guessing you chose Brandeis over Clark because you thought the expected value/returns would be worth more. I doubt a difference of maximum eight dollars would change that decision. But if you did not take the time to consider costs when applying to college, the onus is on you.

Most of your concerns are based on a lack of information. How about we just wait for more information before criticizing the new program?

— Connor Wahrman ’17 is a member of the Brandeis Academic Debate and Speech Society. He is also the editor-in-chief of Brandeis International Journal.