In response to your editorial “Evaluate goals of sexual assault protest” (Sept. 16):

As someone who was involved in the student protest at the “Light of Reason” installation, reading the Justice’s “Evaluate goals of sexual assault protest” editorial was an extremely frustrating experience. The Justice started the editorial by acknowledging that sexual assault is “not an issue to be swept aside with empty promises” but then went on to criticize the student protest in great detail. The Justice called the protest a “disruption of a major University event,” deemed it “disrespectful” to all who attended and described it as “unwarranted.” By dismissing the protest in these terms, the Justice is implying that, while sexual assault on campus is “a problem,” it is not one that warrants serious attention. 

The editorial criticized the student protestors, arguing that they should “evaluate their goals” and run a more “clear, targeted and respectful campaign.” The Justice seems to be saying that in order for rape to be taken seriously, students must demand it, that rape on its own doesn’t merit University action but rather students must make the case for it, preferably in a polite manner and without causing discomfort. 

But the fact that rape happens at Brandeis is uncomfortable. And it’s time that the Brandeis community addresses this uncomfortable issue with the respect and attention it deserves. At the protest, students, many of whom are survivors, stood up bearing signs with messages declaring “I was raped. Rape happens here.” These protestors were sending the Brandeis community a much needed wake-up call. But I don’t know if it was heard. Maybe this is because we were afraid; because we know that if we truly open our ears to this message, we will be forced to question how the University can continue to function as normal amid this crisis. Instead of taking further action to address campus sexual assault, the University has been defending its actions as “enough.” This cannot continue.

I would like to ask the University to treat this movement with the respect it deserves, and to acknowledge sexual assault at Brandeis as the crisis that it is. In the words of Justice Brandeis, “If we would guide by the light of reason we must let our minds be bold.”