On Aug. 11, Timothy Touchette took over the position of director of the Department of Community Living, after the previous director of about 10-and-a-half years Jeremy Leiferman left the University this January. Associate Dean of Student Life Maggie Balch has served as interim director since Leiferman’s departure. 

For the past six years Touchette has worked at Northeastern University, most recently as the associate director of housing services and operations. 

Touchette wrote in an email to the Justice that he made the move to Brandeis because he wanted to take the next step in his career. “The pace at Northeastern as well as the volume of students made it very difficult to get to know people. It was more transactions by nature of the flow of business,” he wrote. “Here I feel I will be able to better connect with students, staff and faculty, which will better enable me to immerse myself into the Brandeis experience.”

While he said that he has been impressed with many of the facilities at Brandeis, continuing to improve residence halls is one of Touchette’s main priorities coming into the role of director. 

“Some of my career background is in hotel and hospitality management, so I have a keen eye for quality and clean appearance while also keeping an eye on the bottom line. I look forward to watching our facilities grow and change over my time here at Brandeis,” he explained.

Touchette wrote that he is extremely excited to take on this new role at Brandeis, largely due to the people he will work with and because he looks forward to personal interactions with students. 

“I’m excited to be at a place that [‘gets it’] on so many levels. But most of all, I’m excited to be somewhere where everyone matters and each person has a voice,” he wrote.

In addition to years of experience in higher education, Touchette also brings with him a bachelor’s degree in public and professional communications from Rhode Island College, a master’s degree in communications studies from the University of Rhode Island and a doctorate in higher education administration from Northeastern University.