With the 2014 commencement ceremony now behind us, this board would like to express sincere gratitude to the newest alumni of the Justice, who have each contributed to the paper immensely over the past few years. We wish you all tremendous success in the future and look forward to covering your future accomplishments. 

Schuyler Brass served as the ads editor for the Justice for a year. He thrived in the position, making immense strides in the continued development of the ads section. The office will surely miss his efficiency and his smile.

As former layout editor and associate editor Rachel Burkoff leaves our office, our InDesign maven’s contributions to the paper will not. Rachel’s expertise in computer science, Wall Street and multi-page spreads were second to none. Yet above all, her constant ability to have fun, as well as her bubbly personality, will surely be missed in the office.

Though Jenny Cheng’s demeanor was calm and quiet, it could not mask the toil and long hours she consistently worked throughout the week. Jenny was a stabilizing force in the office. While others ran amok, she consistently soldiered on through the tasks of photography editor, which are sometimes tedious and always numerous. Jenny was a superb mentor to the younger generation of photographers and her instructions were clear and easy to grasp, leaving a tangible legacy as new photographers carry on her work.

Despite her quiet personality, Sara Dejene was a true leader throughout her time working on the Justice. As news editor, online editor and associate editor, she continually exemplified the ethical, high-quality journalism that the Justice strives for. Her final contribution to the paper was a series of thoroughly-researched investigative articles that raised the quality of News  this past semester. 

Phil Gallagher was one of the most versatile editors the Justice has seen grace its office. Starting as both a Copy staff member and Forum writer simultaneously, Phil was originally delighted to be granted a column with a focus in on-campus news. He later was selected to be an editor of the Arts section, and after spending a semester abroad and returning to the staff, was promoted to deputy editor. His wide range of experience and sardonic sense of humor will surely be missed.

Shafaq Hasan’s no-nonsense attitude and natural confidence as a leader made her a brilliant forum editor and associate editor. She was willing to spend long hours honing every individual piece of an op-ed or editorial article until it was exactly right, and her insightful comments and quick wit irrevocably improved the quality of the Justice’s opinion section. She was someone you could always trust to be entirely honest, always in your corner and pushing you to improve the paper to be the best it could be. 

Celine Hacobian made her way into the Justice office as a Copy staff member but quickly found a home in the Features section during her sophomore year. After her excellent work as features editor, Celine’s dedication to perfection and welcoming personality were a consistent boon during her time as associate editor and online editor. 

We salute Josh Horowitz for all that he has done. Josh thrived as photography editor for the duration of not one regular term, but close to two. He went above and beyond as an editor, serving as a stabilizing and thoughtful force when his critical and complex section needed it most. Josh taught his peers by example how to be a proactive, not reactive, contributor—even in the face of last-minute challenges under the wire. He could always be counted on for a laugh, a great story or a late-night food run. His legacy as the man who brought the Justice sweatshirts to fruition will surely live on in our office. 

Joshua Linton’s skills have significantly altered the trajectory of the paper moving forward for the better. Besides his world class photography skills, which he displayed as photography editor, Josh improved the technology of the office exponentially. We wholeheartedly thank him for all the hours he has put into improving our office. 

Few people can bring the combination of laid back and headstrong that Henry Loughlin brings to a room. From sports staff writer as a sophomore all the way to the section editor, Henry kept everyone from getting too serious and reminded the office to just have a good time. 

Adam Rabinowitz has certainly left his mark on the paper. Starting as a sports writer, quickly moving through the ranks to become a first-class sports editor, he eventually culminated his Justice experience as managing editor. His ability to so effectively manage his work, no matter how abundant that work may be, is something to be commended. 

With her laser accuracy, attention to detail and keen intelligence, Maya Riser-Kositsky no doubt caught many potential grammar and spelling mistakes during her time as copy editor. From her inimitable copy editing to her help with layout, she always was sure to be accurate and thorough in all her work. Her focus and knowledge will surely be missed. 

Andrew Wingens left a lasting impact not only on the three generations of news editors whom he helped mold into leaders and investigators after his own term, but also as the Justice’s Editor-in-Chief during the 2012 to 2013 academic year. Always passionate about the paper and full of innovative ideas, he made huge undertakings like the November 2012 election edition exciting, fun and successful. His sense of humor and grounding presence will be missed. 

We would also like to thank our senior writers, columnists and cartoonists for all of their contributions to the paper. We wish Lilah Zohar, Aaron Fried, Jacob Moskowitz, Tziporah Thompson and Mara Sassoon the best of luck in the future.

All of the Justice’s new alumni made immeasurable contributions to the paper; indeed, this board would not even know how to do our jobs without the wonderful people who taught us. We wish our graduates the very best of luck. The work ethic, curiosity, eloquence and amiability that each and every one of these men and women have shown will serve them well in whatever field they choose to enter. We hope they’ll remember their time at the Justice fondly.