Based on Veronica Roth's bestselling novel of the same name, the new film Divergent premiered last weekend, and now holds the top box office spot for the second weekend in a row, according to Rotten Tomatoes. Despite mixed critical reviews, the film is riding a recent wave of dystopian teenage-rebellion movies following the highly successful Hunger Games franchise.

Divergent is set in a post-apocalyptic Chicago, where society is divided into five factions: Dauntless, Abnegation, Candor, Amity and Erudite. Each faction is introduced to viewers through voiceovers, but it is hard at first to keep them straight. The most important ones end up being Abnegation, Dauntless and Erudite. In this universe, each teenager takes a test to determine for which faction he or she is best suited. They are told to "trust the test," but also that they are free to choose to join a different faction than the one their test tells them.
Beatrice Prior, later known simply as Tris, has grown up with her parents and brother in Abnegation, not knowing if she fits into the selfless, charity-oriented faction. Played by The Descendants' Shailene Woodley, Tris appears to be an observer rather than an active participant in her own life. 

Tris' test results are inconclusive, and she is told that she is Divergent. She doesn't fit into any faction, and the Erudite, who are trying to wrest control of the government from Abnegation, find these few abnormal minds dangerous. The next day at the choosing ceremony, after her brother shockingly chooses Erudite, Tris joins Dauntless, the city's fearless protectors.

It is in these scenes where the visual imagery of the movie is the most striking. The color scheme of the film is mostly grey, white and black, in concordance with its dystopian theme. Dauntless members, dressed in all black, run through the streets like a demented army, jump on and off trains and hang out in their stronghold, "the Pit."

Once Tris joins Dauntless, her real personality begins to show. Despite some clich?(c)s, including the romantic tension between Tris and her instructor, Four, watching Tris prove herself worthy of being part of Dauntless is entertaining. At first, Tris doesn't have one specific skill to set her apart from the others. Her strength is in her mind rather than her body, and this is especially apparent when she begins mental training in the Fear Landscape. This is a sort of virtual reality in which the trainees are put into a trance and forced to face their fears while one of the trainers watches their experiences on a screen. The visual effects here are impressive, and not over-the-top. Viewers are able to feel Tris' fear from a flock of demonic crows and a wildfire, without any out-of-place visuals. The sparse landscape, dusty and punctuated by barbed wire fences, enhances the post-apocalyptic feel.

Four, played by Theo James, who viewers might recognize from his brief but memorable role as the Turkish Kamal Pamuk on Downton Abbey, is the quintessential bad boy. He is technically Tris' teacher, which adds some interesting intrigue to their romance, but is virtually ignored later. Little is known about Four until Tris joins his Fear Landscape, but even then, he comes across as an attractive love interest with a tough past. The two do have chemistry, but the romance seems contrived at times in the middle of the conspiracy plot.
At the same time, the film drags on for almost two-and-a-half hours. After each new twist the film seemed like it would end to save some of the story for the next films, based on the novel's sequels, since it is a projected trilogy. The film stays relatively close to the plot of the book until the ending. In the novel, the ending showcases Four's intelligence, but in the film the ending scenes showcase his bravery and strength instead. Also unlike the novel, Tris' fear of intimacy is played down in the film and her Dauntless friends are portrayed as cool instead of as awkward misfits. 

The score and soundtrack, which feature a few songs from Ellie Goulding, fit well with the film and do not detract from the story. Overall, the film is enjoyable, even if predictable. Tris' transformation from weakling to Dauntless, as well as her romance with Four, is expected. The film, however, lacks the conventional love triangle, adding a refreshing change to the plot. 

Divergent is obviously directed toward a teenage audience-from the soundtrack to the casting choices. Fans of the books should enjoy the faithful interpretation, as well as those who are still anxiously waiting the next Hunger Games installment.