Who is Geoffrey Canada? Before Brandeis announced him as our 2014 commencement speaker, I had no idea who this man was. After a quick Google search, I learned that Canada, like many of our own Brandeisians, is an activist. Currently, he is the president and CEO of the Harlem Children's Zone, an organization that works to increase high school and college graduation rates among children in Harlem, N.Y. through various support services. Canada clearly deserves this honor bestowed upon him.

By recognizing someone who isn't trending on Twitter or in the spotlight, the University is acknowledging individuals whose hard work could have otherwise gone unnoticed. There's always the argument that Brandeis doesn't attract big name speakers because we're a smaller school, but I think it's OK that we don't top the list of most famous graduation speakers if Brandeis continues to welcome individuals like Canada.

After growing up in the inner city himself, Canada has used his Harvard University education and personal story to change the lives of thousands of children. Canada's work has also impacted public policy, including President Barack Obama's pledge to create more centers like the Harlem Children's Zone across the country.

Canada clearly demonstrates the qualities that Brandeis holds dear: social justice, opportunity for those often overlooked and community. 

Why, then, are students generally not looking forward to his speech, even if it means doing some research on him? Why, year after year, do students lament that other universities have a better, more famous, name brand speaker? 

Yes, it would be quite exciting for Ed Helms, who is speaking at Cornell University this year, or John Legend, University of Pennsylvania's speaker, to grace our commencement stage, but these individuals don't represent Brandeis. 

We deserve someone who reflects Brandeis' values and history, rather than Joss Whedon, who spoke at Wesleyan University last year, or Peyton Manning, who will speak at the University of Virginia this May.

I'm not saying some name recognition is a bad thing-it does boost the University's image, or at least its press coverage. Think Madeleine Albright, the first female secretary of State, who will speak at Dickinson College this year. Or Bill and Melinda Gates who are speaking at Stanford University's graduation this year. 

Being famous is one thing and being qualified to deliver a commencement speech is another-and if an individual fits both those categories, that's great. Although Canada may not be recognizable by the general public, I think Obama's recognition of Canada's work illustrates his growing image. Though having a famous speaker is exciting, the most important aspect of a commencement speaker is his or her message. 

Furthermore, Brandeis higher-ups have recently done a pretty good job at inviting speakers who I probably wouldn't have heard about otherwise. Last year, Brandeis honored Dr. Rick Hodes, who works in Ethiopia helping people with serious illnesses and is the medical director of Ethiopia for the American Jewish Joint Distribution Committee. 

In 2007, Hodes was a finalist for the respected "CNN Heroes" program that consistently recognizes individuals for their humanitarian efforts.
If he's good enough for Anderson Cooper, Hodes clearly deserved to be Brandeis' commencement speaker. You don't need to be a famous comedian or movie star to have a story to tell. 

Margaret Marshall, first female Supreme Court justice in the Massachusetts judicial court, spoke in 2005. Marshall is from South Africa, where she advocated against apartheid as a leader in the National Union of South African Students. She also wrote the majority opinion statement on the court case that declared same-sex couples could marry in Massachusetts, making it the first state to do so. 

Ideally, an individual is chosen to speak at a graduation because he or she has something meaningful and thought-provoking to say-whether they are a comedian or founder of a nonprofit. That being said, you can't judge a commencement speaker by their career or background and it's possible that speakers like Manning or Whedon will give equally memorable speeches. 

But as for Brandeis, considering our conception as a harbor against discrimination, we should honor individuals who display a similar passion for social justice.
Speaking at commencement is an honor that reflects back on the University and our values. 

By choosing Canada, we are saying that we value those individuals who are often under-appreciated, who make a difference in the world through activism and philanthropy.
We are saying that despite your background, you can become someone who changes lives.
*