Many of the Marvel Cinematic Universe films follow the same plotline: backstory, conflict, defeat or tragic moment and the inevitable triumph over evil. Thor: The Dark World is no exception, but that isn't a bad thing. I left the theater stunned by the excitement and depth of the film. Since the 2008 release of Iron Man, Marvel and their film production team have created an entirely distinct realm of Hollywood, with each release building upon the trails of the last.

Thor: The Dark World begins with a flashback to a conflict long-forgotten by the characters between the Asgardians and the Dark Elf Malekith (Christopher Eccleston) over a powerful substance known as Aether. Asgard defeats the evil forces and hides the Aether deep beneath the earth, unbeknownst to them that Malekith and some of his followers escape to their ship. 

Flash forward to present day where we find Loki (Tom Hiddleston) imprisoned for his crimes committed on Earth in The Avengers; Thor (Chris Hemsworth) and his friends battle to create peace in the nine realms and Jane (Natalie Portman) is studying a scientific phenomenon in England where she discovers the Aether

Awakened by the Aether's energy, Malekith and his forces attack Asgard, resulting in great tragedy and one of the most impactful moments of the movie. Eccleston's portrayal of the revenge-driven Malekith was decent but Malekith does not stand out on the list of bad guys. However, Malekith is clearly willing to do anything to gain the Aether, which will grant him endless power. Thor, angry about the destruction and Asgard's helplessness, devises a plan to defeat Malekith for good but needs Loki's help to escape from Asgard through a secret passage. 

The relationship between Thor and Loki develops a strange appeal throughout the film, as the viewer doesn't trust Loki for his past actions but there is still a powerful bond between the two brothers. All of the previous Marvel films have not taken the opportunity to develop their relationship, but after suffering a common tragedy in the movie, the two are forced together. 

The movie also reveals Hiddleston as capable of much more than the crazed, power-hungry character of Loki. Hiddleston displays the emotional complexity of a character tormented by his own decisions and ambitions, willing to do anything to prove his worthiness to rule. Beside this, Hiddleston also retains the comedic and sarcastic nature Loki is known for, thus proving Loki's likeability-even as the 'bad guy.' 

The other power couple of the movie is Jane and Thor who, when the movie opens, haven't seen each other for nearly two years. Thor is a warrior, but in comparison to his first movie, he develops much more emotion-or humanity-through the relationships seen on screen. Portman is almost always flawless in her roles, though Thor always overshadows her whenever they share a scene, and the entire premise of the movie follows the plotline of Thor saving her from the dangers of the Aether. Regardless, Portman's performance is reminiscent of her Star Wars days as Queen Amidala, a strong-headed woman motivated by love. 

The movie also relies heavily on the talent of supporting actors, including Dr. Selvig (Stellan Skarsg??rd), Heimdall (Idris Elba) and Frigga (Rene Russo). Selvig, a scientist who works with Jane, is initially locked in a mental hospital after his traumatic experience during The Avengers, but returns now and helps save the world from devastation. 

Heimdall is the all-seeing keeper of the Bifr?dst Bridge that unites the realms, and the sequel sees Heimdall play a much greater role in the plot as he helps Thor save the day. Elba's solemn tone and unyielding body language match perfectly with the man who knows everything about the realms and whose job it is to protect the gates of Asgard. Frigga, the wife of Odin and mother of Thor and Loki, also helps develop Loki's emotional appeal; Frigga clearly loves her son and their scenes together are heartbreaking. 

Though much of Thor: The Dark World draws on previous Marvel knowledge, I loved that the movie, was still accessible to people who know little about the Marvel Universe.
The movie is much more than an action-packed explosion of conflict and enemies; relationships and emotions compose a large part of the film. When tragedy falls, it is not just another warrior in battle but a character whose story you know. As an amateur Marvel enthusiast, I highly recommend the movie though it is even better knowing the plot of previous Marvel movies.