On Thursday night, in the final days of Louis Louis week, the Student Committee for the Rose Art Museum, commonly known as SCRAM, in conjunction with Student Events, put on SCRAM JAM, their annual semi-formal event.
When asked which student organizations-Student Events and SCRAM-were responsible for specific aspects of the evening,

Rita Tobias '16 said that it was entirely a collaborative effort between the two groups and that they worked together since the middle of September planning the event.

SCRAM Jam provides students with an opportunity to enjoy the current exhibits in a social and interactive environment.

Students were encouraged to walk around the exhibits but also to watch student performances, take pictures in a photo booth and dance with friends. The event featured artists disc jockey King Pleaxure (Ayan Sanyal '14), Trevor Kafka '15, a including an aerial dancer, and the Brandeis Improv Collective.

In an interview with the Justice, Sarah Horn '16, the leader of the student committee for the Rose Art Museum, said that this was the first time SCRAM Jam featured performances.

The upper level was mostly filled with students as they waited in line to get drinks and piled around the table with SCRAM Jam exclusive giveaways-cups that change color when filled with hot or cold liquids and vibrant red sunglasses.

Members of the Improv Collective were also scattered around the first floor, improvising on wind instruments, an asset that created a mood of refinement. The music was very disjointed as the musicians were staged fairly far apart, playing independently of each other in a modernistic style. The modern music went well with the modernist art of Andy Warhol, Jack Whitten and others in the exhibits currently on view. The event attempted to present itself as classy and cultured and students adhered to that standard, appearing in semi-formal attire.

About a third of the way through the night, Kafka began his solo dance performance on the landing between the top and bottom floors. Kafka moved with incredible grace and strength as he slowly switched from pose to pose in a dance that had echoes of a figure skating routine.

The next performance, also on the middle landing, was an improvisation show courtesy of the Music department's Improv Collective. The group of musicians, with their instructor Prof. Thomas Hall (MUS), started to clap in unison and then transitioned into improvisation.

As one might imagine, the event could be potentially risky for the artwork but Student Events and SCRAM made sure that they had strict guidelines and security in place in order to protect the art. The food and beverages provided were not allowed in the galleries but only allowed in the passageway between the upper and lower levels. In addition, members of SCRAM along with Jennifer Yee, the patron services coordinator of the Rose, carefully monitored students to ensure that students did not get too close to the artwork. This concern was only really relevant in the Minimal and More exhibit in which sculptures were staged in the middle of the floor in the path of foot traffic.

Horn mentioned that there were a lot of limitations to the event due specifically to the Warhol exhibit. She mentioned that "given the fact that a lot of works in [the Warhol] exhibit were loans, [the event] technically didn't have a dance floor. [The event was] allowed a DJ and... allowed to have activity in [the Foster Gallery] but it was really closely monitored. In years before, [SCRAM Jam] had a space that was designated as a dance floor, the lights were off."

SCRAM Jam gave students a way into the museum-some for the first time-and made the art more accessible.