This past Sunday, the long-awaited Dunkin' Donuts opened in the Village, just a few feet from where I live.

This development, along with the recent addition of Starbucks in the Goldfarb Library and Heller School for Social Policy and Management, is the most convincing evidence I have seen yet that the new Sodexo dining service will improve our food for the better.

While some at Brandeis clamor for more vegetarian options, more organic options, more fat-free options, I simply want food that tastes good. Furthermore, some would protest any type of chain restaurant or establishment. Common arguments against them would be that they unfairly corner the market or drive the smaller stores out of business. Health concerns do exist as well, but those could be equally applied to any type of restaurant. However, in my opinion, this is especially less true in Boston, where a strong local preference allows the "mom-and-pop" stores to thrive, but the animosity against the chains persist.

Chain restaurants exist for a reason. When non-local individuals arrive in a new setting, the familiarity of a chain restaurant gives them the reliability of a good and safe meal. The same goes for Brandeis. Since I have never once seen a Brandeis eatery serve a lobster roll or clam chowder (Boston's most famous food), chain restaurants would not cut down on the local cuisine on campus. Two thousand miles away in my native Houston, I regularly ate at both Starbucks and Dunkin' Donuts, and I was pleased by the menu from each. Accordingly, I know what I am getting into before I ever open their doors. If I am choosing to frequent the restaurant, I probably have had a previous good experience with it.

Of course, it is true that the Brandeis affiliate will specifically be run by Sodexo, our dining service. That being said, while there are bound to be differences, I reckon they will be negligible, as are those with the Starbucks. The chains have a responsibility to uphold their reputations in any location their logo or likeness is used. Therefore, we have been promised of a certain level of quality at these locations. While some would say the Starbucks in the library is of lesser quality than of those in the outside world, I believe it is superior to its predecessor.

When it comes to a generic Sodexo establishment, unfortunately, the same does not apply. I have been saddened to see a decline in the quality of food at the Usdan Student Center, compared to last year's Aramark establishments. The biggest exception to my sentiment, in terms of sheer quality of taste, has been the library coffee shop, a previous establishment replaced by a chain.

In fact, my quixotic alternative to Brandeis' dining system would simply be privatization and outsourcing of most of the food options. Outside restaurants and chains would take over. Meal plans would apply as vouchers to these restaurants, where dollar-to-dollar conversions would be preserved. The University would maintain a full-service cafeteria which would guarantee things such as kosher and gluten-free options. However, in this free-market solution, the contracted establishments would provide options to the specific groups, so as not to turn themselves off from a huge faction of the market. Indeed, many have already done so. The popular hamburger establishment Wendy's has become well known as catering to the gluten-free lobby, Dunkin' Donuts has a few dozen kosher franchises around the Northeast.

Chain restaurants are not engaging in an avaricious plot to corner the market and destroy competition. In fact, if more were introduced to campus, they would assure the opposite. At most dining halls around campus today, the prices are already inordinately expensive; chain restaurants and unmitigated (that is, free of Sodexo's influence) competition would drive prices down.

But back to reality, Sodexo was right to seek out chain restaurants for Brandeis and should seek more.

The guaranteed quality and efficiency of an establishment you are already familiar with is a great asset and one that should not be taken lightly.

Brandeis students should celebrate the increased taste quality and frequent these oases of the outside world.

If you need me, I'll be at the Dunkin' outside my room.