As a long-time Jackass enthusiast, I had been looking forward to the Oct. 25 release of Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa, the latest in the Jackass series, which is known for physical comedy, crude humor and spontaneity. The series uses scenes that are filmed off set with lay bystanders who are not privy to the film's plot. This filming style makes the movie all the more humorous as the reactions to the gags are candid. Produced by MTV Films and Dickhouse Productions and directed by Jeff Tremaine, Bad Grandpa was the highest-grossing movie its opening weekend at the box office. In the movie, Johnny Knoxville, arguably the face of the Jackass franchise, plays 86-year-old Irving Zisman, who originated in the Jackass series as a recurring character known for his inappropriate behavior in public settings. While Zisman makes brief appearances in previous films, Bad Grandpa is dedicated to the trials and tribulations of this eclectic elderly man.

After losing his wife Ellie (Catherine Keener), Zisman finds out that his daughter Kimmie (Georgina Cates) is headed to jail for violating her parole. With no one to take care of his grandson, eight-year-old Billy (Jackson Nicoll), Zisman is tasked with bringing Billy to his father Chuck (Greg Harris) in North Carolina from Zisman's Lincoln, Neb. home. Having moved on quickly from his wife's death, Zisman doesn't want to have to be constantly responsible for Billy, as he believes that the boy will act as an impediment to his pursuit of young, attractive women. Unfortunately for him, he doesn't have a choice.

Bad Grandpa is not crafted to impress critics with a complex storyline, amazing imagery or top-quality acting. Rather, the plot is simply a device for duping average citizens into partaking in ridiculous pre-designed scenarios. During the open-casket funeral for his wife, Zisman gets into a physical altercation with Kimmie, which results in Ellie falling out of the casket and onto the floor. The onlookers-composed of unwitting caterers, singers and religious officials who were hired for the funeral-are horrified, believing that an actual corpse is on the floor.

After getting tired of dealing with his grandson, Zisman attempts to mail the child to North Carolina. He puts the boy in a box and brings him to the post office, where two unsuspecting middle-aged female employees notice that the object inside the box is talking. Zisman brushes off their skepticism, saying that the life-sized, animated doll that he is shipping inside the box is simply short-circuiting. Eventually, Billy pops out of the box, startling the two women. Amazingly, Billy and Zisman were able to leave the post office without incident.

While Nicoll isn't incredibly captivating or convincing with his acting, he doesn't need to be-he is simply an accomplice to the bumbling Zisman.
Destruction is a recurring theme in Bad Grandpa. From shattering the front window of a store to destroying wine glasses and a wedding cake, Zisman uses his stature as a confused elderly man as an excuse for breaking things. His stunts may not have been entirely convincing, but he managed to keep from getting arrested, which, given his behavior, is a feat in itself.

Having seen previous Jackass films, I was expecting a production full of constant amusement. However, while Knoxville certainly provided entertainment in bursts, the film failed to produce sustained humor. Instead, hilarity was isolated to certain segments-there were long stretches that possessed little entertainment value. Though Knoxville made up for this by ensuring that scenes such as the funeral and the post office produced a lot of laughs, the aggregate amount of humor was a bit below what I expected.

This film certainly is not for the faint of heart, as many of the stunts were cringe-worthy. much like its predecessors in the Jackass series, Bad Grandpa's plot is virtually non-existent; it is a mere backdrop for the two characters to cause mayhem. Yet, those who view Bad Grandpa are likely not watching it for its symbolic complexity but rather for the obvious, yet hilarious, humor. As is the norm with the Jackass series, there is no word on whether Zisman will make further film appearances. However, if you happen to see an unfamiliar elderly man stumbling around at a wedding, you should ensure that your wine and cake are safe.
*