The 2013 induction to Brandeis' Athletics Hall of Fame, a fitting culmination to the 2013 Brandeis Athletics' Homecoming, featured yet another class of accomplished athletes and teams.

On Saturday night, six individuals (Jules Love '55 and Rashad Williams '02 of the men's basketball team, Mark Bonaiuto '77 of the baseball squad, Michael Goldfarb '99 of the men's swimming and diving team, Victoria Petrillo '99 of the track and field squad and Danielle Fitzpatrick '04 of the women's basketball squad) etched their names into Brandeis Athletics history.

Additionally, the 1957 football team and 1984 men's soccer team were inducted.

"Someone told me, that if you live long enough, you get to give a speech," joked Arnie Taub '58, who accepted the honor on behalf of the football squad, which went 6-1 during that year.

Despite its small roster, given the team had just 39 players, the squad recorded impressive victories against Northeastern University (14-0), the University of Massachusetts Amherst (47-7), the University of Bridgeport (33-12) and perhaps most notably, its biggest rival, the University of New Hampshire (27-0.)

"Our accomplishments were truly a team effort in the truest sense of the word," said Taub. "We had an excellent rapport with the student body. The team wasn't sequestered into a particular dorm or treated as a commodity; we were treated as a part of the student body."

Williams, inducted for his accomplishments while a member of the men's basketball, came to Brandeis as part of the Myra Kraft Transitional Year Program at the suggestion of former men's assistant coach Wallace Johnson, whom he had played under for a brief stint in high school.

"Growing up in California, in the [San Francisco] Bay Area, I had never heard of Brandeis. But when I got the call, my dad said, 'Well, [you should] look at the opportunity.'"

After initially taking some time to settle in, he proved to be a huge success, amassing a Brandeis all-time record of 1,928 points.

"The first day, when I was dropped off in my dorm room, I said 'I can't live here! It's too small, and I'm 3,000 miles away from home.'"

However, he explained that he was able to make the transition to college life, further noting that his teammates were a big part in earning the "great honor."

"I said to [men's coach Brian Meehan], you gotta get the boys ready," he added. "[Because] I will give away all of these points for [Meehan] and the boys to have some more wins."
All told, with inductees from seven different sports and four different decades, the event was a fitting way to pay tribute to Brandeis athletics success.