On Oct. 1, comedian and Hamilton, Mass. native Bo Burnham released his first book of poetry, titled Egghead: Or, You Can't Survive on Ideas Alone. Burnham began his career on YouTube, and just four days after his 18th birthday, became the youngest comedian to have taped his own Comedy Central special. The release of this book comes just after completing another live recording for Comedy Central, this time of his current tour, called "what."

Although Burnham began his career by performing comedic songs primarily focused on teenage angst, he incorporated stand-up comedy when he began live performances.

Last Thursday, Burnham participated in a reading of his newly released book at Coolidge Theater in Brookline, Mass., for which he introduced his book as the Bible. When the reading was complete, Burnham allowed audience members to ask questions about himself, as well as his career and future in comedy. The reading was followed by a book signing at Brookline Booksmith. 

Burnham collaborated with actor Chance Bone, who drew all of the images, to complete the book. According to Burnham, he wrote some of his poems for Bone's illustrations, just as Chance illustrated some images for Burnham's poems. Burnham said he did not consider Bone an "illustrator," but rather that he was his partner in putting Egghead together. 

Burnham's blunt, politically incorrect and self-deprecating comedic style transferred over to his satiric poems seamlessly. Burnham explained after the reading, when asked about why he decided to write a book of poetry and the challenges it presented, that "it did not actually feel different," when compared to writing satiric songs or stand-up, and that a joke can easily transition from one form to another. 

Egghead, similar to Burnham's previous comedic endeavors, is driven by his clever use of words, as well as his quirky nature and ability to misdirect the audience, and in this case, the reader. The book features ridiculous humor that will make you laugh out loud, as well as some lines that will force you to sympathize with Burnham's awkward character and make you wonder, "Is he actually being serious here?"

Burnham explained during the question-and-answer session that he does not mean to be serious, but that "misdirection is a large part of comedy," and his in particular. Poem titles range from "I Want to Beat You to Death" to "Masturbitosis" to "Let's See What the Robots Think." During the reading, Burnham read the most inappropriate and sexually explicit poems in the most nonchalant and natural tone possible, and incorporated the audience for more of an improvised performance. For example, Burnham picked out an audience member at the reading with her father, and said, "This is gonna get awkward." He continued to look to her and to her father throughout the reading. 

In the past, his performances were focused on the script, and he would only improvise for a moment or two in response to audience reactions or special occasions. However, in this intimate environment, Burnham showed his true personality and his off-the-cuff sense of humor was on display. This reading was a chance for Burnham to, of course, read some excerpts from and promote his book but also to give the audience a better idea of who he is. He incorporated ambient music in the act, beginning with a jazzy track, transitioning to Aaron Carter's "How I Beat Shaq," which he ultimately rejected, returning to another one of the jazzy tracks. 

When asked when he realized he wanted to be a comedian for the rest of his life, Burnham responded, "I never had that moment," and that he still is unsure if he would like to continue in comedy. "What's always been my strength is my short-sightedness," he said. He explained that he puts all of his effort into what he is doing currently, but that his future in comedy is yet to be determined. However, he described several small projects that he has in mind. Burnham continues to actively post to his Vine account, and is finishing his "what." tour. 

Burnham's comedic stylings will certainly be a treat for any reader with a sense of humor, open mind and appreciation for a good play on words. Every time I open Egghead, I cannot help but to laugh out loud.
*