Last Wednesday, elections for vacant Senate and Executive Board positions, including the newly-vacated position of treasurer, took place. The results of the election were released late Wednesday night.

Roughly 1,132 students voted in this election, according to the Union's calculated results.

Micah Lehmann '15 was elected treasurer, with 35 percent of the vote, or 359 votes to runner-up Harry Greenberg's '15 323. Lehmann could not be reached for comment by press time.

Naomi DePina '16 was elected senator-at-large. The other senator-at-large seat was filled by Daniel Schwab '14 at the end of the spring 2013 semester. DePina wrote in an email to the Justice that she would like to become active in both diversity and club initiatives. "As a committee member I will plan events to embrace the diversity we have at Brandeis. Moreover, in the clubs and club support committee I will try my best to make it easier for clubs to get funding, and make it easier for students to start new clubs," she wrote.

Kathy Nguyen '16 won the Class of 2016 senator seat, which was originally won by Andrew Chang in the spring 2013 elections. However, Chang transferred to the University of Pennsylvania after the elections occurred. Nguyen could not be reached for comment by press time.

Erica Barnett and David Heaton won the race for Class of 2017 senator out of the seven candidates. Barnett received the most votes at 110, while Heaton received the second-highest number of votes at 107. Each of the candidates received about 29 percent of the vote.

Barnett said that she plans to start talking to students to find out what she should work on as a member of the Senate. "I want to start focusing on developing that community aspect of my class and promoting interaction," she said in an interview with the Justice.

She said that she has no specific plans as of now, but wants to talk to members of her class to address concerns as well as create events to increase communication.

Heaton could not be reached for comment by press time.

The position of racial minority senator was filled by Wei Qian '17, who took 65 percent of the vote. Qian was the sole declared candidate.

Qian said that he wants to start a YouTube talk show to get students from different backgrounds to interact and understand each other. "People from different races and cultural backgrounds don't know each other that well ... and I hope to bring people of different cultures together to talk," he said in an interview with the Justice.

Andrew Savage '16 filled the East Quad senator position. Savage could not be reached by press time.

Henry Snow '17 won the Massell Quad Senate seat.

Snow wrote in an email to the Justice that he is excited to start receiving feedback from other students and members of his quad. "[W]hile I was a candidate I wished to keep a relatively simple, easy-to-understand platform, and thus limited my ideas to a select few, but now that I actually have the job I am even more interested in seeking out every possible idea and issue that needs addressing," wrote Snow.

Brian Hough '17 won North Quad senator. He could not be reached by press time.

Eden Zik '16 was elected as Rosenthal Quad senator. Zik said in an interview with the Justice that he wants to add a weight and cardio room to Rosenthal Quad that more resembles the new fitness room in North Quad. In addition, he said he wants to hold a barbecue for the quad.

Ellen Parker '16 was elected Castle senator and Michael Stein '14 was elected as Charles River Apartments/567 senator. They could not be reached by press time.

Ethan Levy '15 was elected as Ridgewood Quad senator.
Levy said that he first wants to talk to constituents to get a better idea of what they want to see. "I definitely know what to expect in terms of going to the meetings, and what I can and cannot get done. I think I was a little too ambitious last year," he said of his past experience in an interview with the Justice.

Wonhee Choi '15 was elected as Ziv Quad senator. Choi wrote in an email to the Justice that he plans to "start integrating [himself] into a couple committees and beginning to collaborate with the Ridgewood quad senator to get some events going between our two quads."  

Haley Orlofsky '14 was elected as Foster Mods senator. She could not be reached by press time.

Positions remain open for Village senator, off-campus senator and associate justice. Abstain received the most votes for all three of these positions.

The winner for Myra Kraft Transitional Year Program senator could not be concluded due to a technical error. "[F]or some reason, likely a tech glitch, the ballot did not send," wrote Union Secretary Sneha Walia '15 in an email to the Justice. "I wasn't told about this until after 5 p.m. and, because tech glitches were being worked out collaboratively between me and a woman from the Registrar, I was unable to fix it because the Registrar closes at 5 [p.m.]."

A special election will be held on Oct. 2 to determine who will fill this position. According to Walia, no additional candidates will be allowed to run. Only Jennifer Almodovar '17 and Arianna Zelley '17 will be on the ballot.

-Tate Herbert, Sam Mintz and Jake Silverman contributed reporting