Games between the Boston Red Sox and the New York Yankees arguably represent the biggest sporting rivalry in the United States. Yet, there are also matches between two English soccer teams that may be even more intense and passionate.

Unlike the Red Sox and Yankees, who play each other 15 times this season, Liverpool and Manchester United do battle twice a year in the English Premier League, making each meeting incredibly significant.

On Sunday morning, hosts Liverpool downed their archrivals, United, 1-0 at Anfield thanks to an early goal from striker Daniel Sturridge.

Sturridge, who was celebrating his 24th birthday, scored his fifth goal of the season, preserving the Reds' undefeated mark in the Premier League.

Liverpool-United games have a tendency to feature late drama, while the early stages are traditionally known for being cautious in nature.

However, that proved not to be the case this time, as the hosts went ahead in the fourth minute.

Sturridge had a shot deflected to safety, resulting in a corner kick. From the corner, captain Steven Gerrard sent a ball in, which was headed on by central defender Daniel Agger. Agger's header-while goalbound-looked like it would be cleared by the United defense. Yet Liverpool was not to be denied, as Sturridge nodded the ball into the net from three yards, sending Anfield into raptures.

As expected, David Moyes' side responded, and almost equalized moments later. United striker Robin van Persie, who was top scorer in the Premier League last year, hooked a bicycle kick over the bar. Liverpool came roaring back, as midfielder Philippe Coutinho saw his shot from 25 yards go wide of the post.

Liverpool dominated the midfield battle, with Iago Aspas, Coutinho, Gerrard, Jordan Henderson and Lucas Leiva out-pacing United counterparts Michael Carrick, Tom Cleverly, Ryan Giggs and Ashley Young.

The visitors attempted to rally, especially as striker Danny Welbeck was brilliantly denied by Liverpool right back Glen Johnson. The Reds, meanwhile, went close through Gerrard's 25-yard free kick, which was stopped by United goalkeeper David De Gea.

Having been second-best in the first half, United came out of the dressing room with renewed vigor, and Young almost scored in the 52nd minute. Yet Liverpool survived, as the effort was blocked by the impressive Johnson.

In the 77th minute, United midfielder Nani sent a hard shot on net, which was well-saved by the Reds' goalkeeper Simon Mignolet.

With three minutes left, United missed a big chance.

United striker Javier "Chicharito" Hernandez, who had come off the bench, played the ball to van Persie, whose strong run down the right flank put him clear of the Liverpool defense. Liverpool feared the worst, as the Dutchman-who scored against Liverpool twice last season-is traditionally deadly when close to the net.

However, he wasn't as lucky this time, as he shot the effort wide of the near post.

Liverpool almost grabbed a second goal in stoppage time, as left winger Raheem Sterling fizzed a drive toward the top corner that De Gea tipped over the bar. From there, Liverpool kept hold of the ball, and the final whistle sounded to a huge celebration from the home crowd.

"I think we've been working hard as a team since the start of the season," said Sturridge after the game.

Liverpool (3-0-0) and United (1-1-1) are in very different situations than this time last year-United won the Premier League, while the Reds took six games to record their first win on their way to seventh place.

Though it is still very early in the season and the teams' fortunes could very well change, it has to be said that this Liverpool win over United could be a sign of good things to come.