For Katy Dowling '15, vice-president of the Brandeis crew team, the sport is a family affair.

The first annual Alumni Regatta on Saturday presented an opportunity for first-year novices to watch the proverbial "family" unite in memorable fashion.

"This provided a valuable opportunity for novice [first-year] rowers to really see how rowing can affect you for the rest of your lives and gave them an opportunity to see their first race," Dowling wrote.

In total, 22 alumni returned to compete in the day-long event, and it was as if they never left.

"This gave alumni who haven't had a chance to row for many years to get back on the water with people they spent five (sometimes six) days a week with," she said.

Dowling she said primarily recruited members of the Class of 2008 to row in the regatta, but there were a few special guests at the ceremony.

These guests included Laura Hand '11, a member of Community Rower Inc., a non-profit rowing club located on the Charles River in Boston; novice coach Jeremy Asch '12; and Mei Ling Caldera '11.

The novices had been particularly impressed by the appearance of Caldera, who is an educational expert on coxing and well-known among the professional community.

"The novice coxswains were very excited to meet Mei Ling, as they had heard about her and read her book," Dowling stated. "They were a bit star-struck to meet her, and their enthusiasm was obvious."

Steve Simons '88, a member of the first rowing class at Brandeis, attended the event. For Dowling, it could not have been more fitting that he had the opportunity to see his namesake boat, "The First Class," race.

The novices also came to witness these rowers in action, and they certainly witnessed an exciting race.

Five teams competed in the one-kilometer race, and while the competitors were close, one boat managed to edge out the rest for first place.

Brett Wu '08, Dan Boldyrev '09, Ben Pernick '09, Jeremy Gottlieb '10 and Brontte Hwang '15, who coxed, crossed the finish line in three minutes, 55 seconds to earn top honors.

Greg Ryan '12, Jeremy Asch '12, Justin Lambert '12 and Jorge Ascencio '12, with Caldera bringing up the rear as coxswain, took second.

Andy Hyde '12, Avital DeSharon '12, Bill Ennis '12, Alex Barnett '11 and Megan Carden '15 as coxswain, rounded out the top three teams.

Yet, the biggest surprise of the day for novices and alumni alike may have been at the post-race barbeque in the Napoli Room.

University President Frederick Lawrence arrived to note his pride in the crew team's accomplishments and also encouraged novices to partake in this storied tradition.

According to Dowling, he discussed how "rowing is a sport that pits a person against both time and gravity ... this is a sport about bettering ourselves, and competing against ourselves."