In the fall, students will find an updated East Quad on move-in day. New locations for the Crown Center for Middle East Studies and the Lemberg Children's Center will also be underway. 

As of Friday, the Board of Trustees approved a four-fold increase in the budget for deferred maintenance on campus. In the approved budget, $10 million will be allocated to these past-due construction and maintenance jobs each year for the next 10 years, up from $2.5 million. The money will go toward updating East Quad and Schwartz 106, the auditorium in Schwartz Hall, among other projects.

The construction will not bring radical changes, but it will be widespread and noticeable, said Provost Steve Goldstein '78 at Friday's faculty meeting. "Our offices, our classes-everything about this place will really benefit from $100 million over the next 10 years."

"Some of the dorms like East, where we'll be working, have the exact same facilities, walls, paint and doors that they did when I was here as an undergraduate, and that's too long ago," said Goldstein.

Of the Schwartz renovation, Goldstein said he anticipated this would only be the beginning of updates to social science facilities. "This will really allow us to ... begin to change the experience in the middle campus social science quad," he said.

The childcare center will also be moving to new, more suitable facilities on South Street, pending some construction, which is already underway, said Goldstein.

This relocation will allow the Crown Center to find its permanent home in the former Lemberg building. The Crown family donated an undisclosed amount of money early in the academic year that will fund renovation of Lemberg and the move to a permanent space.

Senior Vice President of Administration Mark Collins could not be reached for comment by press time.