Diagnosing a medical disorder without being able to physiologically test for it is difficult; diagnosing a medical disorder without being able to physiologically test for it when the symptoms are personality characteristics is even more difficult. This is the problem doctors face when diagnosing children and adults alike with mental disorders, specifically attention deficit hyperactive disorder.

A March 31 article in the New York Times by Alan Schwarz and Sarah Cohen stated that 11 percent of school-age children have a medical diagnosis of ADHD-a 16 percent increase since 2007 and a 41 percent increase in the last decade. And, two-thirds of those with a diagnosis of ADHD are on prescription stimulants like Adderall. The growing rates of ADHD diagnoses reflect the over-diagnosis of a chronic disorder, causing consequences for both those who actually have a severe case of ADHD as well as for those who are misdiagnosed and do not have ADHD

According to the New York Times, most experts believe ADHD is caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain that affects impulse control and attention skills. The major symptoms of ADHD in children, according to the National Institute of Mental Health, include "difficulty staying focused and paying attention, difficulty controlling behavior, and hyperactivity." But, these are also all characteristics of just being a child.

According to the NIMH, in order to officially diagnose ADHD all other potential causes of the symptoms, such as stress at home and other learning disabilities, are ruled out. People involved in the patient's life like teachers and coaches are contacted to learn more about behavior in different environments and over time. There are also tests to see how a child reacts in different social situations as well as academic achievement tests to observe distractibility. The data is analyzed and if it meets the criteria of ADHD an official diagnosis can be made.

According to the New York Times, the long and arduous diagnostic process is often truncated due to time constraints and pressure from parents, thus underlying problems of ADHD symptoms may be missed and stimulants may be unnecessarily prescribed. Parents are pressuring doctors to make the diagnosis because it creates a medical excuse for dropping grades and misbehavior. Medication is the easy fix but is also unsafe when not used in the right circumstance.

While ADHD was most often diagnosed in younger children, many are being diagnosed as teenagers and adults. These diagnoses are probably going to increase as the American Psychiatric Association plans to change the definition of ADHD, according to the same New York Times article. The changes, though not official, would probably raise the requirement that symptoms appear before age 12 rather than seven. The changes would also require that symptoms "impact" daily activity, rather than impair it.

With the over-diagnosis of ADHD, the cases of those whose lives are affected on a day-to-day basis by the disorder are often misunderstood. The difference between someone who is misdiagnosed and someone who suffers from ADHD is the difference between "I don't want to do something" and "I can't do something." This causes the struggles of having ADHD to be overlooked, as people without an accurate diagnosis do not show an accurate portrayal of symptoms. People with ADHD get lost in a sea of misdiagnosed people and their disorder becomes misunderstood.

Even if the symptoms of ADHD are present, they could have a different cause. There may be trouble at school that is causing distraction when trying to complete a task, a different learning disability such as dyslexia, or even a problem impacting hearing. These causes can be solved through different treatments-treatments that are not used with ADHD. But, when overlooked, unnecessary prescriptions for stimulants are prescribed which could lead to severe health risks.

Over-prescribed stimulant medications to correct a chemical imbalance in the brain to someone who lacks this chemical imbalance is not safe. It can cause results such as hyper-focusing and euphoria. Taking stimulants when they are not needed can lead to further complications and over-dependence on stimulants later in life. According to the National Institute on Drug Abuse, stimulants are highly addictive, and abusing them can cause complications such as paranoia and strokes.

Those making the diagnosis should not feel pressured by parents and should take the time and effort to analyze the full history of the patient. Even if it seems that ADHD is present, steps to find better organizational and study skills should be tried before jumping to stimulant medications. Though the medications can be a huge help to those more severely affected with ADHD, they are not always necessary.

If the definition of ADHD is to be changed, it should not be to encompass a broader population, rather it should be to target those who have an attention deficit that impedes on living a normal life.

ADHD is a serious disorder that needs to be taken seriously by health care professionals who today seem to be handing out the diagnosis to whoever asks for one.