We've all been there-someone answers the phone, we hesitate for a second and then realize we dialed the wrong number. We have a few awkward exchanges but just hang up and dial more carefully the next time. But what if that wrong number could lead to something more? In the movie Miss Dial, written and directed by David H. Steinberg, consumer affairs representative Erica (Robinne Lee) turns a wrong number into an entire day of phone conversations with complete strangers. The movie features her conversations with over 30 people, one of whom she eventually develops a romantic relationship with.

The sheer irony of the movie is the fact that it is Erica's job to talk on the phone; she spends her days working from home answering calls from consumers about various products (that number a box always has for "Questions, Comments, Concerns"). The items ranged from canned soup to car wax, and each call was comical, like the woman who once used a paper shredder to shred potatoes.

In comparison, the conversations that Erica had with the strangers she called were compassionate and friendly-she asked them about their lives, problems and dreams. The diversity of callers was really interesting and offered a look into the different lives of individuals, showing that everyone truly matters. The last call Erica makes, after promising herself that she will get back to work, is with Kyle (Sam Jaeger). They have instant chemistry and their relationship slowly develops over hours talking on the phone.

As Erica, Lee is very relatable and realistic; it was easy to become invested in her story and I thought she did a good job (though it wasn't a particularly challenging role). Jaeger, whom I love in his regular role on the T.V. show Parenthood, was charming as her love interest, though it was hard for any of the actors to truly amaze me simply through phone calls. Erica and her best friend Sam (Sara Rue) had several conversations as well, mostly talking about boy drama, of course. Rue is one of my favorite underrated actresses, so it was great to see her get some screen time.

But the truth of the matter is that the movie simply lacks any real substance or plot development. Miss Dial is an interesting concept and it's nice to think that people in real life could be that open. Truthfully, I cannot imagine that calling up a random person would end in a happily-ever-after situation. For much of the movie, I was laughing at the ridiculousness of the plot, but there was a lot of comic relief through the interesting characters Erica encountered-including actress Gabrielle Union as an incredibly long-winded caller complaining about dog snacks.

Most noticeably, there is barely any physical movement in the movie because Erica stays in her living room the entire time, so the movie flashes between her house and whoever is on the other line of the phone. I kept waiting for something to happen, but nothing did until the very end when Erica and Kyle are united.

Beyond the actual plot events, Miss Dial represents a greater theme-that you shouldn't let anything, including a job or bad relationship, hold you back from living your life. Erica is clearly wasting away at her job as a consumer affairs representative, so to me it seems like her calling all those random people is her way of letting go of her job-for once, she is the one calling for answers instead of people wanting answers from her. In the end, I was proud of the decisions she made and it reminded me that it is never too late to make a change.
*