Possibly the most anticipated arts event of the year, Liquid Latex performed its annual show on Tuesday, March 19 in Levin Ballroom. Approximately 450 students put midterm studying on hold to attend this unique and extremely entertaining performance.

This year's performance was titled "Paint Even Unto Its Innermost Parts," a creative play on the school motto that accurately portrays the theme of the show. The audience did see the "innermost parts" of the models. Every year, members of Liquid Latex perform choreographed dances onstage wearing scarcely anything but the latex paint covering their bodies. Models of all different shapes and sizes looked fantastic in their paint. 

The first dance, "Going Greek," was choreographed by David Robles '13. It featured models painted with bright iconic symbols of different ancient Greek gods and goddesses. Painted as Poseidon, Zeus, Artemis and other Greek deities, the models danced to different pop songs including the infamous "Thrift Shop" and "Pretty Girl Rock" while they walked upstage to pose one at a time. At one point, the gods and goddesses paired up and danced together in an erotic take on Greek deity romance. I thought this performance was very clever. Not only was the idea creative, it also allowed for spectacular, bold and eye-catching body paint.

A personal favorite, "Sweet Dreams," choreographed by Brittany Ritell '15, featured models painted like different types of candy. The Dots and M&M's "costumes," for lack of a better word, were scarily realistic. The dance was magical and dreamy, but also fun and playful. The audience went wild when the dancers blew bubbles and threw candy into the crowd.
"It's Britney Bitch," choreographed by Samantha Daniels-Kolin '15 and Rose Levenson '15, paid homage to Britney Spears' prolific career. Six Britney Spears personas danced onstage in typical Britney costumes. Their attitudes were perfect-sassy, sexy and confident. I have to admit that I had a rush of nostalgia and a flash back to elementary school when "Hit Me Baby One More Time" started playing. I'm sure the rest of the audience had a similar reaction as they cheered on the six Britneys. In a particularly sassy part of the dance, the models walked across the stage in a huddle, spun to face the audience, then continued walking and dancing, all while their expressions exuded attitude.

Another nostalgic performance, "Runway: A Night on Broadway," choreographed by Kimberly Lombard '13, was a big hit. Models were painted with the symbols of the classic and most beloved Broadway shows. The shows included The Lion King, The Little Mermaid, Wicked, Mary Poppins and Fiddler on the Roof. The models danced out onto center stage one at a time to popular songs from the show they were representing. A particular favorite with the crowd was when Wouter van der Eng '13 danced daintily to "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" from Mary Poppins. A feel-good performance, this dance had the whole audience sitting up in its seats and tapping their feet to the familiar tunes.
"Les Animaux Des Etoles," choreographed by Sara Lodgen '14, was the most unique dance and yet the most difficult to understand. The French title didn't help my comprehension much, but after the performance I looked it up. The title translates to "The Animals of Stars." The description of the dance read, "Noah's Ark in outer space. What happens when you read between the lines?" I guess I am not very good at reading between the lines because I was confused during the whole dance. The models were painted as crosses between two, three or more earthly animals and they looked extremely bizarre. It was a psychedelic piece that told a story somewhat related to space animal procreation, although I couldn't tell for sure. At the end of the dance, the models threw stuffed animals out to the crowd, representing the offspring of the space animals. The incomprehensibility of the dance, aided by the French title and the extremely short description made it wonderfully mysterious and the audience seemed to thoroughly enjoy it. Later I was told that the crew team, which does an eccentric and comical dance every year, performed this piece.

The show definitely exceeded all of my expectations and then some. Liquid Latex is a one-of-a-kind event that is only possible at a school like Brandeis where the student body is so open to new forms of art; students are willing to stand in an extremely long line in the cold in the middle of midterm week in order to show their appreciation for Liquid Latex's vision.

Editor's Note: Justice Arts Editor Jessie Miller is the assistant coordinator of Liquid Latex.