The Union presidential candidates expressed their ideas and platforms to the Justice.

Daniel Schwab '14

I consider myself ... very social ... I believe that I'm able to communicate very well and efficiently with the student body ... I'm not a candidate who's going to get stepped on by the administration, I'm going to be the voice of the students and push the administration to get what we need and make life more suitable and convenient for the students at Brandeis.

[T]here's a problem on campus ... [T]here's not a lot of time to study ... I believe as a very academically-driven university, that 24/7 library hours is something that should be established year-round ... Also, the funds that can be diverted from Einstein's [Bros. Bagels] to EcoGrounds, in addition to keeping at least the green room open 24/7 ... Additionally, I'd like to open the bar on campus, at the Stein, as a sports bar, keeping it open throughout the week ... I feel like it would promote a safer environment if [the bar were] controlled by the University, in addition to the fact that it would have a nice place for the students to hang out and collaborate, talk and socialize.

David Clements '14

I've proven myself as the treasurer, which is probably the hardest, most rigorous position .... As part of the Union, I was an assistant treasurer as a freshman and sophomore and then treasurer for this year ... I also understand that I was not able to do this alone. Thankfully, I have 10 assistant treasurers who were able to do a lot of the work with me. I was able to delegate and because of this, I understand the need to delegate in order to get things done but at the same time maintain a responsible and business-like atmosphere within the Union. I've proven myself to be not only accessible to student leaders and student clubs, but I've also been a past club leader ... I think the main issue with the Student Union now is that we're viewed as a governing body looking over the students, and looking over student clubs and controlling their finances ... I plan on changing the image of the Student Union to being a resource for students, to being the segue for students through which they can voice their concerns, propose an initiative ... I just plan on getting more out there, having a presence on campus,

Ricky Rosen '14

In my two years in the Student Union, I have demonstrated that I am a proven leader and a proven representative who will not stop until the needs of his constituents are satisfied. As the Class of 2014 Senator, I achieved nearly all of my goals to reform dining, including creating the Senate Dining Committee, adding items to the [Provisions on Demand Market] meal plan, extending [its] hours on Saturday nights and Einstein's hours on Sunday afternoons. Students have come to me over the last two years with a multitude of issues, and they have trusted me to address their concerns with university officials ... I am driven and endlessly determined to carry out every single one of my goals.

If elected ... [i]f Aramark stays the provider, I would push for students to have the ability to use more than one meal per meal period and allowing unused meals to carry over into additional guest meals until a limit of 15 guest meals is reached. If Aramark is not the service provider, I would fight for students to have a say in what dining options are available ... I would work to expand Brandeis's work-study program since there are a considerable number of students eligible for Federal Work Study who were not able to find on-campus employment (myself included). By working with the Provost, the Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences, and Hiatt, I would be able to create more jobs in offices across campus for which only Work-Study students are eligible. My other major goal is for the Union would be to find new ways to connect with the student body-this would involve working with BTV and Getz Media Lab on creating entertaining monthly video updates to inform the student body of Union initiatives.