You're Invited!

Did you work on the Justice at all during your time at Brandeis? Pull all-nighters in the basement of Usdan or the Shapiro Campus Center? Rush across campus to report on or photograph events? There are over a thousand people who've done it too. Whether you were editor-in-chief, a columnist or a once-in-a-while contributor, we cordially invite you to attend the first ever Justice alumni reunion and media conference on April 26-27, 2013

Media at Brandeis grew as the university did, and members of the Class of '52 quickly organized the Justice to report. The longest-running student publication on campus, the newspaper's multiple generations of student journalists have documented and analyzed the in's and out's of the University. We possess unique perspectives on the early days of President Emeritus Abe Sachar, controversies on campus including the housing "open-door" policy, the "closing" of the Rose Art Museum, and the student takeover of Ford Hall. We've captured student reactions to civil rights, the draft, wars, and elections, as well as spirit weeks, athletics, and the wide variety of other campus events.

Today, the Justice continues to redefine itself in the face of the 21st century, bringing our coverage online. Yet it continues to invoke the camaraderie of it's origins and serve as a historical record of Brandeis to date. There is no doubt that the Justice has had a profound impact on this university, and as current students, we can attest to the fact that your hard work and dedication during your years at Brandeis have left a lasting legacy.

Please join us to celebrate the Justice, and learn from the individuals who've defined it.

Register Here:

The cost for alumni to attend is $50, which includes a cocktail reception on Friday, and continental breakfast and lunch on Saturday. You can pay with your Visa, MasterCard, American Express or Discover. You can register here.
*

Reunion Schedule

Friday, April 26

Open Undergraduate Journalism Courses
9:30-10:50 a.m. "Ethics in Journalism" Professor Eileen McNamara (former Pulitzer Prize-winning columnist for the Boston Globe)
Location: Brown Social Science Center 115 

12:30-1:50 p.m. - "Media and Public Policy", Professor Eileen McNamara
Location: Shiffman Humanities Center 125

3:00 p.m. Registration Opens
Location: Justice Office, Shapiro Campus Center (SCC), 2nd Floor

3:30-5:00 p.m. Campus tours led by current Justice editors
Meeting point: Shapiro Campus Center Atrium

5:00-6:30 p.m. - Cocktail reception, with welcoming remarks from one of the founding editors of the Justice, Sanford Lakoff '53
Location: the new Shapiro Science Center, atrium and patio

Please note: At around 6 p.m. towards the end of the cocktail reception, there will be a panel discussion discussing professionalism in the media and how well the media covered the recent Boston marathon bombings.
All students, faculty, staff and alumni are invited to attend.
Location: the new Shapiro Science Center, atrium

[The Leonard Bernstein Festival of the Arts will be holding several evening performances open to alumni to attend. For more information, please see below. The featured event "Late Night with Leonard Bernstein," featuring his daughter Jamie Bernstein, is free but requires ticket reservations in advance. To reserve, please call 781-736-3400 or visit: go.Brandeis.edu/BrandeisTickets]

*

Saturday, April 27

All events on this day will take place in Sherman Function Hall unless otherwise noted.

8:30 a.m. Continental breakfast

9:00 a.m. State of the News, Justice Senior Editor Andrew Wingens '14, with Q&A

9:10 -10:15 a.m. How the Justice Influenced Careers (Both In and Out of Journalism)
Featured Panelists: David Zimmerman '55, author of Sankofa; Alex J. Goldstein '06, Executive Director of the Deval Patrick Committee (DPC) and the TogetherPAC (TPAC); Jeffrey Greenbaum '90, Managing Partner in the Advertising, Marketing, and Public Relations group at Frankfurt Kurnit Klein & Selz, PC; Steve Heyman '06, Features Editor at the New York Times T Magazine. Student Moderators: Joshua Asen '13, Senior Sports Writer and former Sports Editor, and Janey Zitomer '13, Senior Photographer and Journalism Undergraduate Department Representative.

10:30 -11:45 a.m. Covering Campus Politics: The Justice as the Arbiter (and Sometimes Instigator) of Conflict Featured Panelists: Lindsay Gardner '82, Senior Advisor at Oaktree Capital Management and former television journalist; Arnie Reisman '64, award-winning writer, producer and performer as well as Vice President of the American Civil Liberties Union of Massachusetts; Benjamin Freed '06, Editor-in-Chief at DCist.com. Student Moderators: Samuel Mintz '14, News Editor, and Sara Dejene '15, Online Editor and former News Editor

12:00 -1:00 p.m. Keynote Address by Ted Gup '72, and lunch

1:15 p.m. University Update from Senior Vice President of Students and Enrollment Andrew Flagel, followed by a Q&A

1:45 p.m. -2:45 p.m. Ethical Decision-Making in the Justice Newsroom
Featured Panelists: Dana Coffield '86, co-metro editor at the Denver Post and chief investigator in the publication's Pulitzer Prize-winning coverage of the Aurora theater shooting; Jon Fischer '07, Managing Editor at the Washington City Paper; Dan Hirschhorn '06, national politics reporter at the New York Daily News. Student Moderators: Glen Chesir '15 Forum Editor and Jessie Miller '15 Arts Editor

2:50 p.m. -3:00 p.m. Concluding Remarks, How to Stay Involved
Andrew Wingens '14 and Robyn Spector '13

3 p.m. Campus tours will be offered by current editors

[Please note: from 3:00 -5:00 p.m. there will be a folk festival on the Great Lawn outside of the Shapiro Campus Center as part of the Leonard Bernstein Festival of the Arts]

____________________________________

Further Information

Panel discussions: In addition to Friday's panel discussion on Journalism Education, Saturday's panels will touch on a variety of subjects: Educating Student Journalists, Covering Campus Politics, Ethical Decision-making in the Justice Newsroom, and How the Justice Influenced My Career (inside and outside of journalism). If you are interested in serving on a panel or suggesting a panelist, please email us (alumni@thejustice.org).

Keynote Speaker, Ted Gup '72: Ted Gup is a former investigative reporter at the Washington Post who revealed the location of the underground bunker for the U.S. Congress in case of nuclear attack. He has also written for Time Magazine and more recently, The New York Times. In addition, he is the professor and chair of the Journalism Department at Emerson College, and formerly taught journalism at Case Western Reserve. He has received several awards including the George Polk Award for foreign reporting, the Worth Bingham Prize for investigative journalism, and the Gerald Loeb Award. In addition, he is a former Fulbright Scholar and Grantee of the John D and Catherine T MacArthur Foundation.

Accommodations: The Marriott Hotel in Newton (five minutes from campus) has been designated as the official hotel for the Justice Reunion. A block of rooms has been reserved with a special Justice Reunion rate of $149 a night (the usual rates are around $205 a night). You may call the hotel (617 969-1000 or 800-228-9290) to make a reservation. When reserving a room, please indicate that you are attending the Justice Reunion. Reservations must be made by March 29th for the preferred rate. For more information and to make your reservation with the discount online, please click here.

Festival of the Arts 2013: The annual Leonard Bernstein Festival of the Creative Arts will be held on April 25-28 at various locations around campus. Highlights of this year's festival include the Brandeis Theater Company production of "Visions of an Ancient Dreamer"; a concert by the Brandeis-Wellesley Orchestra; and "Late Night with Leonard Bernstein," hosted by Bernstein's daughter Jamie, with performances by acclaimed soprano Amy Burton and pianists John Musto and Michael Boriskin. Tickets to the "Late Night with Leonard Bernstein" performance are free but must be reserved in advance. Please email alumni@thejustice.org for ticket reservations.

*

Reunion Organizing Committee
Mr. Paul Levenson '52
Dr. Sanford Lakoff '53
Mrs. Barbara Krasin Kravitz '57
Mr. Sy Raboy '57
Dr. Judith Walzer '58
Dr. Jeffery Golland '61
Dr. Allan Jay Lichtman '67
Mr. Paul D. Broude '79
Ms. Anne R. Exter '80
Mr. Daniel H. Adler '85
Ms. Mari J. Cartagenova '88
Ms. Michelle Leder '88
Mr. Martin R. Lieberman '96
Mr. Dan Friedell '97
Mr. Adam M. Greenwald '98
Mrs. Pam Garretson (Isaacson) '98
Dr. Jodi R. Eichler-Levine '00
Mr. Lex Friedman '02
Mrs. Jennifer (Klein) Seadia '02
Mr. David Dagan '03
Ms. Caroline Litwack '03
Mr. Dan Hirschhorn '07
Ms. Andrea Fineman '10
Ms. Miranda Neubauer '10
____________________________________

For more information please contact Robyn Spector '13, Deputy Editor at: alumni@thejustice.org