After the release of his new single, JustArts sat down with Cameron Wolff '15 to discuss his passion for music and electronic band RapidFflow.

JustArts: Would you tell me about the history of RapidFflow and how the group got started?

Cameron Wolff: So, in the summer of 2008, I went to a music place in San Francisco and started messing around with online music making programs and then I showed Chris Atanasian, my best friend and the other half of RapidFflow, and we started making music.

JA: How would you describe the style of music that RapidFflow makes?

CW: We make electronic music, but there are a lot of sub-genres, like techno, trans-house, so we cross a lot of different styles. I also put in classical flare to the music like Mozart style. 

JA: How did you come up with the name RapidFflow?

CW: To get the 'rapid' Chris used part of his computer username and mine is my last name backwards, so then we smushed them together to create RapidFflow

JA: How many songs has RapidFflow come out with?

CW: We've come out with two albums, the first one entitled RapidFflow and our second Handful of Ownage, and we've had two singles since then, "Digital Mist" and "Mystery". 

JA: Tell me more about your new single "Mystery" that just came out.

CW: "Mystery" just came out as the single for our new album that is coming out hopefully at the end of summer. I'm probably going to dedicate one of the songs to my Grandma who passed away recently called Nama, which is what I called her. For "Mystery," my friend Michael Leung '15 made the artwork and worked on other stuff as well.

JA: What types of songs will your new album feature?

CW: It has songs like "Mystery" and previous songs, but it also has songs that are completely different than anything we have ever done before; it still has our melodic style that listeners recognize and keeps our fans coming back. We also evolved our production of the music to make everything sound better and we really worked on trying to make it sound comparable to other top artists' music. 

JA: How have you seen your music evolve over time?

CW: The first album was really raw, not much mixing and more simple beats. The second album we got a little better making chord progressions, and our most recent singles are a huge step for us putting in a lot more sounds, mixing and mastering it and really going for the professional sound of other artists. 

JA: What is your biggest musical influence?

CW: I have to say the Beatles, but Chris' influences range from System of a Down to Daft Punk to the Crystal Method. 

JA: What other notable experiences have you had with music production?

CW: This summer I interned at Hans Zimmer's studio, the guy who's made the music for Lion King and Inception. I got to sit in with composers and watch them work on the music for Assassin's Creed and all their different techniques which helped me learn different styles of music. I had previously just worked on music, but I got to see how they produced the music for movies and video games too. 

JA: Are you majoring in anything music related?

CW: I am minoring in Music and last semester I took an electronic music class which helped RapidFflow because I learned how to mix and master tracks to sound more professional.
Now, we have over 200,000 views on our page so we are doing pretty well.

JA: Where do you see RapidFflow going in the future and your own work in music?

CW: I would like to continue doing this for 10, 15 years, but realistically I'm not sure that can happen because it's hard to make it in the music industry. 

JA: Tell me more about your fan base.

CW: Most of our fans are based on watching our videos on YouTube, but we've sold a lot of music in Australia, Canada, all over the United States and we've even had some random sales in Austria, Germany and the U.K. I would love to spread more into Europe because they love this type of music there.

JA: What do you think makes RapidFflow unique?

CW: I think the fact that Chris and my writing style is based off of rock and classical music, not just electronic, shows that we are making electronic music out of other sounds that people have never heard before.
*

-Jessie Miller