The International Business School recently announced that Alan Hassenfeld and David Hodes '77 will take over as co-chairs of the International Business School Board of Overseers. Hassenfeld and Hodes were appointed in January, and their new positions are in effect for the spring semester.

According to IBS Dean Bruce Magid, the selection process was initiated when Magid solicited input from board members, faculty and administration. He proceeded to formally recommend Hodes and Hassenfeld to University President Frederick Lawrence, and discussed the decision with Lawrence before making the final appointment.

"As current members of the Board of Overseers, Alan and David both have already been involved with new programs at Brandeis IBS, and have begun some exciting discussions on how to deepen the relationships between the board and the community at large," wrote Magid in an email to the Justice.

According to a Jan. 29 BrandeisNOW article, Hassenfeld, a retired chairman and CEO of Hasbro, Inc. and adjunct professor at the University, is the current chairman of Hassenfeld Family Initiatives, an organization with a mission to support children in need and higher education, among other causes.

Magid described Hassenfeld's efforts in establishing the Hassenfeld Overseas Immersion Program in 2011. The program allows students to take courses on developing economies and travel to these countries for a firsthand experience.

According to Magid, the Hassenfeld family has been long involved in the University community. Hassenfeld's mother Sylvia Hassenfeld is a former Brandeis Trustee, and his late grandfather Henry Hassenfeld was a former Brandeis fellow. In addition, his sister Ellen Hassenfeld Block has served on the Board of Overseers at the Heller School for Social Policy and Management since 2001.

Hodes, an alumnus of the University has remained active in the Brandeis community, according to BrandeisNOW. Hodes has spoken in numerous real estate classes and has also guided students in his spare time. Hodes has helped the recently introduced real estate specialization flourish through his support. He has also been a member of the IBS Board of Overseers since 2009 and was on the Dean's Global Business Council from 2003 to 2009. As a managing partner of Hodes Weill & Associates, he has provided internships for a number of IBS students.

The article continued to say that Hodes and his wife, Jolie Schwab '78, who has served on the Brandeis Arts Council since 2008, have continuously acted as generous contributors to the IBS and Office of the Arts.

"The leadership of the new co-chairs, combined with our board's ongoing commitment to advance our mission, will ensure our continued success and recognition as a leading global business school," wrote Magid.
*