Lena Dunham has had quite a year. She won two Golden Globes, one for best television series, comedy, and one for best actress for her role as Hannah Horvath in that hit show Girls. This role has transformed her from indie filmmaker into arguably the "voice of [her] generation . . . or maybe a voice, of a generation" (a quote all Girls fans will recognize from the pilot episode).

On Feb. 6, Dunham and her mother-visual artist and filmmaker Laurie Simmons-hosted an event called "Mother and Daughter: The Voices of Two Generations" at the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston, which screens over 300 films every year. The first part of the event was a showing of Dunham's first feature film Tiny Furniture (2010), followed by a question and answer session, with question topics ranging from self-expression to feminism.

Standing in the unbelievably long line at the MFA, I couldn't have been more excited. Like many others, I feel a personal connection to Dunham and her Girls character Hannah. Hannah is hilarious, neurotic and slightly self-centered, making for a character that audiences can't get enough of. This was evident at the event, filled with excited and fashion-conscious teenage girls, some bearing gifts for their woman of honor.

The film Tiny Furniture follows Aura, a recent college graduate played by Dunham, who returns home to her family in New York, played by real life mother Simmons and sister Grace Dunham. More of a slice of life than an established plotline, the film follows Aura as she gets a job as a hostess, does not "date" but casually "hangs out with" two guys and aimlessly wanders around her TriBeCa loft, much to the dismay of her successful mother and sister.

I am in agreement with New York Times critic Manohla Dargis when she described the film as, "more pleasurable to think about than it is to watch, more of a conceptual coup than an enjoyable experience." It is my opinion that, although it is not necessary for a film to have a strong plotline, it must at least feature some character development for the film to have any direction. Aura, however, remains listless and unmotivated throughout, quitting her job as a "day hostess", and continuously allowing men to take advantage of her. However, the audience seemed to love it, laughing at the appropriate times at the extremely understated humor.

The event peaked in excitement as Dunham and Simmons took the stage. What started as a discussion about her film quickly turned into a free form exchange as the two answered questions eloquently and with humor. Dunham was both articulate and genuine, confirming her status as one of the more relatable and genuine celebrities. Dunham spoke of the creative inspiration she takes from her artist parents, who always encouraged her to find her voice, whatever it may be. Dunham and Simmon's close relationship was evident on stage.

The two joked around with each other and were comfortable discussing all topics with each other (i.e. Dunham-"You didn't like it when my sister made a clay penis in ceramics class" Simmons-"No, I didn't like that"). Simmons refuted the notion that she was similar to Siri, Aura's somewhat strict, cold mother in Tiny Furniture, claiming that in real life, she is much more sympathetic. Dunham's work, generally, is heavily influenced by her real life experiences. Anyone who has ever seen any Dunham work will inevitably wonder how closely the characters of Aura and Hannah are based on the author herself. Dunham responded, "Sometimes I feel so close to Hannah because we share so many things . . . It's nice to have a repository for your experiences in someone else with slightly different hair."

Ultimately, the discussion took a political turn when asked about her stance on feminism and how this contributes to her writing of Girls. Although she considers herself a feminist, she does not "approach the show with any feminist agenda." "I don't believe in the concept of post-feminism. Because I don't think that feminism is done. I don't understand any woman who says they're not a feminist . . . it feels like disowning yourself," she explained amid applause and audience cheers. In an emotionally stirring moment, Simmons responded to Dunham's feminist diatribe, "When I hear you talk like that, I think, that's my girl!'' Dunham then proceeded to charm the audience as she mocked female pop stars who clearly misunderstood the definition of feminism.

Taylor Swift, for example, when asked if she considers herself to be a feminist, answered, "I don't really think about things as guys versus girls. I never have. I was raised by parents who brought me up to think if you work as hard as guys, you can go far in life". At the end of the discussion, Dunham was swarmed by fans, who clamored to take pictures with her and have her autograph. Dunham confirmed her status as one of the most educated, intelligent, and "real" women on the Hollywood scene today.