The Semester Online initiative which is being developed in collaboration with the University, a consortium of nine other schools, and a company called 2U, has reached a new stage as the company has provided a legal agreement for the schools to assess and sign, according to a statement made by Provost Steve Goldstein '78 at last week's faculty meeting.

The University is also moving forward this summer with a pilot program for online summer school classes, according to Vice Provost of Academic Affairs Michaele Whelan. The project is internal and unrelated to the collaboration with 2U.

When the Semester Online initiative was announced in November, the University had signed a "non-binding memoranda of understanding," according to Whelan. Now, she said, the University has to "do due diligence" as they look over the binding contractual agreement written up by 2U.

Whelan also added that in addition to the legal process, the University is working to examine financial models along with the other consortium schools.

"It's a multi-variable model and right now there's a sense that there would be schools that would provide courses, and there would be schools who ... won't provide the courses, but will allow their students to take the courses ... trying to understand those relationships too is not simple," explained Whelan.

Since November's announcement, 2U has developed a website for the Semester Online program, which includes information about the program. According to the website, "beginning in the fall of 2013, Semester Online will be available to academically qualified students attending consortium schools as well as other top schools across the country. Additional information about Semester Online courses and the application process will be available in early 2013."

Whelan referred to those dates as "a pretty tight timeline for all of these universities to think about." When asked if she thought the timeline could be met, she said she did not know.
"It is new. It is complicated. All the universities are trying to understand our responsibilities and duties in relationship to one another, and how 2U fits into that. It is a ... complicated model," she added.

Whelan also explained the purpose behind the University's online summer courses initiative.

"The summer program will try to offer the online classes in the evening, so if students are working or doing internships, there's still a way for them to pursue classes, and it allows them, obviously, to save room and board and be at home or wherever they are," she said.

The framework for these classes is already in place, said Whelan, through a "full utilization of the LATTE model" and the fact that University already offers online master's degrees through the Rabb School of Continuing Studies.

"Undergraduate students will meet virtually 'in class' synchronously with a faculty member" during summer evenings, said Whelan.

Whelan concluded by saying that both projects are part of a long-term plan for the University's future in online learning.
"I think if there's an overarching method, it's how do we do online teaching and learning in a Brandeisian way," she said.