The timetable for the creation of the University strategic plan has been delayed, with the final plan now to be presented to the Board of Trustees at a "later meeting," according to a Dec. 19 email sent by Provost Steve Goldstein '78 to the University community. The presentation of the draft to the Board was initially scheduled for this month.

In Goldstein's email, he wrote that the change was due to the need for "sufficient time for formal and informal discussions as the draft plan takes shape." He added that the strategic planning steering committee is still aiming to have the plan approved in time to start implementation during the 2013-14 academic year.

In an interview with the Justice, Goldstein also cited Hurricane Sandy as a factor in the delay, as the storm pushed back the Board's first discussion of the plan by a month. He added that content and process of the plan are more important than its timing.

"Adhering to a particular timetable is much less important than producing a strong plan through a fully collaborative process," he said. "And we are still on target to present the plan to the Board for approval during the current academic year."

Prof. Sue Lanser (ENG), a member of the Academic Innovations Task Force, said that the strategic plan is worthy of thorough work.

"My understanding is that the delay is a response to a recognition that we needed to do more work on the plan and have more input on the plan, just take more time and not rush something so important," said Lanser in an interview with the Justice.

"I actually think it's a good thing," said Student Union President Todd Kirkland '13 in an interview with the Justice. "I just think they needed a little extra time to fully write everything out that needs to be written out."

"At least from the students' perspective, we want to make sure that when it is presented to the Board, it's presented well," he added.

Goldstein said in his email to the community that the steering committee will "share materials with the community as they become ready" and that there will be further opportunities for students, staff and faculty to give feedback and input on the process and plan.