As I sat in my elementary school classroom 12 years ago, two planes crashed into the North and South towers of the World Trade Center complex. New York City. Where I spent Thanksgiving, where my dad often worked and the emblem of everything American. Since then, the government has tracked down and killed many people responsible for the attacks, but most prominently spent an entire decade looking for the Al-Qaeda leader in charge-Osama bin Laden. Zero Dark Thirty, directed by Kathryn Bigelow (The Hurt Locker), chronicles the CIA's lengthy search for bin Laden and the obstacles it faced.

In 2003, young CIA operative Maya (Jessica Chastain) is reassigned to the U.S. embassy in Pakistan where she joins Dan (Jason Clarke) in numerous visits to black sites, where Al-Qaeda suspects are brutally interrogated. Many of the opening scenes of the movie display these graphic, detailed torture scenes-Bigelow does not shy away from the brutality of the alleged torture that occurred throughout the bin Laden manhunt.

Naturally, the scenes received mixed responses about the legitimacy of including something that controversial; some even called for the blacklisting of Zero Dark Thirty from the Academy Awards. But, let the record show, I was not surprised or shocked by the torture scenes-it was expected. We know that past and current administrations allegedly turned a blind eye to torture interrogations. It was all in the name of American security, and it is not this movie's job to judge such acts as right or wrong.

As a whole, the 157-minute film left me in awe of the stellar acting, intense plot and masterful directorial vision. I was never bored, never checked my watch and never even questioned the length of the movie. The plot was fast-paced enough to keep viewers entertained, yet the drama and suspense added the substance that typical action movies lack.

Though many critics may argue against the film's historical accuracy, I believe that Zero Dark Thirty is an outstanding portrayal of real events that changed the politics and culture of the United States. We know the real story, but Bigelow's adaption brings a realistic insight into this historical event.

To avoid any spoilers, I can't go into detail about my favorite, standout scenes, but there are some shockers-moments that caught me completely off guard. There are also emotional appeals, leading to the turning point where Maya's search for bin Laden becomes more of a personal vendetta.

In that same vein, Chastain explodes on the screen in her role. As a rising star, Chastain completely blew me away in her complex portrayal of a woman often in dangerous situations, following her own intuition despite the adversity she faces. Even when no one else believes the leads Chastain has on tracking bin Laden, she sticks to her guns and doesn't give up-nonstop for ten whole years.

As for the supporting cast, Clarke's ruggedly handsome appearance mixed with badass, no-nonsense attitude make a great counter to Chastain's tough, yet feminine demeanor. His interactions with Ammar (Reda Kateb), the prisoner, are especially compelling and the two characters build an interesting cat-and-mouse dynamic. Despite the brutality, the scenes are incredibly believable and I really enjoyed watching Clarke's more psychological interrogations of Ammar, like teasing out information in return for food or cigarettes.

By the time bin Laden's compound in Pakistan is stormed by special forces, the movie spirals rapidly through the raid of the building. They encounter over a dozen people in the massive house as they painstakingly search through every room for the target. This introspective into the life of bin Laden was surprisingly touching and gave a sense of humanity to one of the most hunted men in American history.

I strongly recommend Zero Dark Thirty, not only as a highly entertaining movie, but also as something every American should be aware of. The terrorist attacks of Sept. 11 and the subsequent capture of bin Laden are an integral part of American culture and I believe this movie does both events justice.