We've all been guilty of picking up a gossip magazine while waiting in line at a grocery store or in the waiting room of a doctor's office. Some fans more than others become infatuated with the personal lives of celebrities to the point of near obsession. In recent history, the music business has seen much of such activity, highlighted by rapper Eminem's hit song "Stan" off his 2000 The Marshall Mathers LP, which describes in letters the relationship between Eminem and an obsessive fan who ultimately kills himself and his pregnant girlfriend because the rapper neglects to respond to his letters.
Last week, word reached the Internet of another artist-fan "relationship" between rap artist Lil' Wayne and diehard fan Chris Coplan. In a letter that borders on 20 paragraphs and six pages, Coplan claims that his "adoration" of Weezy "comes from a place of pure sincerity, a dedication more real than the respect I have for some of my actual friends and family." The letter goes back and forth between praises and criticisms of Lil Wayne's artistry as well as his ability to be a good role model.
Coplan introduces the body of his borderline essay with the statement, "While I may proudly bump the Dedication mixtapes from my car on the weekly, or can still remember the taste of Robitussin on my tongue because one time I wanted to see how you saw the world, my admiration does not blind me from the fact that your actions and career as of late have been totally unbecoming of Best in the World. You're a shell of the musical mastermind that first stole ears with the blazing interlude from Back That Ass Up. I don't see the man who forged careers for the likes of Nicki Minaj and Drake and even out-reigned the King himself. In short, you make me question ever buying my Weezy tee."
The most ridiculous points actually emphasize that Wayne's old behavior and lifestyle is more commendable than his recent activity, as if there has been any change. Coplan argues that Lil Wayne's music has lost its former "oomph," though Wayne's music was never truly serious or poetic, despite many claims to the contrary. Even his more acclaimed songs like "A Milli" touch on deep themes in a shallow manner that focuses on superficialities rather than profundity.
Coplan does in fact make one valuable point when he alludes to the personal struggle that Wayne has had, especially with regard to his prison sentence. Until about halfway through the letter, the piece just seems ridiculous and a waste of time.
The points made are somewhat well-argued and actually make sense, but the entire piece burns out as soon as Coplan tries to blame the issue on Wayne's "recent obsession with skateboarding." The previous points, though farfetched and seemingly incorrect, can be argued with a straight face. Trying to blame a persona alteration on skateboarding is beyond words.
What is most upsetting about this letter is not the argument itself but rather the fact that Coplan takes the time to write an extremely lengthy article concerning someone he will probably never meet and who has very little effect on his life. His points are, for the most part, irrelevant and unnecessary and have brought the response "Who is he to have such authority?"
If you wish to read Coplan's ode to Weezy, the article, published on consequenceofsound.net, is called "Nod Your Head: And the F is for Frustrated: An Open Letter to Lil Wayne."
*