In light of the destruction left by Hurricane Sandy along the East Coast two weeks ago, several groups across campus have combined resources in a concerted fundraising and relief effort, led by Director of Student Activities Stephanie Grimes. Thus far, Student Events has taken the lead in fundraising and accepted donations totaling $320.39 at weekend events, according to Student Events Co-president Rachel Nelson '13.

An initial meeting took place on Saturday between members of Grimes' staff, representatives from the Department of Community Living and student leaders of campus clubs such as Waltham Group, Student Events and Students for Environmental Action.

Grimes did not respond to request for comment by press time.

Student Events put its plans into action at final events for the annual Louis Louis week such as the Louisganza dance, where the club took donations in exchange for glow sticks.

However, the bulk of the donations came from spectators at the men's soccer game at Gordon Field on Saturday, said Nelson. Student Events held a raffle for gift certificates to local eateries and the University bookstore in addition to taking donations for the free pizza and hot chocolate which they provided.

"A lot of the parents, staff and faculty donated to support [S]andy relief which we were extremely appreciative of," wrote Nelson in an email to the Justice. "It was great to see everybody being generous and thinking about others who are in need."
Looking forward, Nelson said her organization has not discussed specific plans, but will continue to have a donation box out at its events, including Thirsty Thursday at the Stein.

Likewise, SEA plans to take donations at its fall-themed organic food banquet tonight, said SEA Regional Coordinator Andrew Nguyen '15.

Jamie Kronberger, the community development coordinator for North Quad, also mentioned at the meeting that she had already begun a campaign in North to recycle cans and bottles using the Greenbean Recycling Machine in Usdan Student Center. The proceeds from the quad's recycling efforts are being collected for the relief efforts.

Other participants in Saturday's meeting did not respond to requests for comment by press time.