This Election Day, Massachusetts voters will be faced with deciding an incredibly competitive Senate race between Republican incumbent Scott Brown and Democratic challenger Elizabeth Warren. I believe Warren would be the better representative for Massachusetts-especially for students. She is true to the progressive ideals she stands for and backs them up with an accomplished record and platform. Her voice and vote would be invaluable to this nation, unlike Scott Brown's.  

Brown has attempted to define himself as a moderate and an independent, but his voting record has proven time and time again that he is another partisan Republican. For example, he voted against the Middle Class Tax Cut Act, which would have raised the income tax on those making $250,000 from 35 percent to 39.6 percent while extending several tax cuts for middle-and lower-class taxpayers. Brown also voted against the Paycheck Fairness Act, which would have imposed extra penalties on employers guilty of pay discrimination-paying women less, simply because of their sex. Both laws would have increased economic fairness in America, reduced our crippling economic inequality and helped millions of Americans through these difficult times.

Warren, however, represents a fresh, yet experienced and earnest voice. She is an ardent Progressive, preferring to define herself around a platform that focuses on helping the middle class, providing for long-term economic development for middle-class and lower-class Americans and returning a sense of fairness to an economic system riddled with injustice.

Warren recognizes that because of low tax rates, tax cuts and loopholes, the upper class in America is not paying its fair share. The highest and second-highest income earners in the nation pay far less in taxes as a percentage of their disposable income than the vast majority of Americans. Consequently, Warren supports legislation like the Middle Class Tax Cut, which would have raised taxes on the top income earners back to the levels of Bill Clinton's presidency-a time of great economic expansion for all Americans.

Warren also supports investment in environmentally friendly technology and green jobs to spur economic growth while combating global warming. She also wants to pass jobs bills, like the three that were defeated when every Republic senator, including Scott Brown, voted against them. These bills would have created thousands of jobs in Massachusetts and around the country. They involved using federal funding to help companies retain and rehire workers, add positions and help unemployed and impoverished citizens find work.   

Moreover, Warren has already proven her commitment to leveling the economic playing field in America by setting up a new federal agency: the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. It works to protect consumers in the complicated financial markets that dominate the mortgage, credit card and student loan industries, among others. The Bureau has also begun investigating breaches of consumer financial law, such as alleged kickbacks paid to a private mortgage lender during the housing crisis. It is this type of consumer justice Warren has already succeeded in delivering and will continue to advocate for if she is elected.  

In terms of issues relevant to students, the contrast between the candidates is clear. Warren ensured that a key focus of the CFPB's activities is to help students navigate the complicated student loan process. Brown has twice voted against a bill that would prevent interest on student loans from doubling. He has also voted to cut $5.7 billion from the Pell Grant program, which would have stripped 135,000 Massachusetts college students of their financial aid, including some Brandeisians. Warren would work to strengthen grant programs and invest more in universities to increase the quality and affordability of our schools. She would even vote to forgive student debts for those of us who engage in community service-illustrating how she recognizes the need for all Americans to band together to improve our lives and our economy.  

Warren is also the better choice in regard to social issues. Not only does she support bills like the Paycheck Fairness Act, but she will vote to insure access to reproductive health care and protect a woman's right to an abortion.  The Republican platform has taken a categorical stance against abortion-calling for a constitutional amendment to ban them. Brown has claimed to be pro-choice, but he has bowed to party pressure on other issues in the past. The Democrats, including Warren, are firmly pro-choice, so no party pressure will negatively influence her positions.

She is also a passionate supporter of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer rights: She opposes the Defense of Marriage Act, which undermines marriage equality, and supports the Employment Non-Discrimination Act to help ensure LGBT equality. Even though Brown accepts Massachusetts' decision to legalize same-sex marriage, he believes marriage ought only be between a man and a woman. Brown is also against DOMA and but has yet affirmed his support for transgender rights or any pro-transgender legislation.  

Ultimately, Warren's chief goals are fixing the injustices and issues plaguing our economy and society today. And that is what we need: committed problem-solvers in Washington, people who understand the issues and will work every day to enact the right policies. Elizabeth Warren is one of them, and she deserves our votes.