I am part of the generation who grew up with Harry, Ron and Hermione, immersing myself into their magical world and learning life lessons at the same time. Therefore, when I heard J.K. Rowling was publishing her first non-Harry Potter series novel, I couldn't resist grabbing a copy of the book. To the woman who gave me years of entertainment, I could surely give a few hours of my time to read the latest fruits of her labor, The Casual Vacancy

Within five pages of the novel, a character drops dead in a golf club parking lot. From there on, the book centers on the aftereffects of Barry Fairbrother's death and in doing so reveals the inner lives of other town residents.

Located far outside the outskirts of London, Pagford is a small, quiet town in England with a mainly white, middle-class demographic. However, after a controversial scandal and battle with neighboring town Yarvil, the lower-class, poor area called the Fields is forced to merge with the town of Pagford.

Fairbrother's, a former council member, death leaves a casual vacancy-the title's inspiration-within the parish council, and this void soon sparks a bitter schism within the small community, pitting conservative against liberal, rich against poor and even father against son. The council calls for an election, with the vacant seat holding the key vote on two divisive issues: the closing of an addiction clinic and the disincorporation of the Fields to save the money in the town budget.

Though the plot is substantial and progresses naturally, the defining aspects of Rowling's book are the characters. Within 500 pages, Rowling manages to create an entire ensemble of a town, giving almost every character a distinct voice and background story. Each chapter is told from the point of view of a different character, allowing the reader multiple viewpoints into the problems of Pagford and a greater understanding of how the conflict affected each individual. I found myself developing a connection with certain aspects of a character, recognizing the desperation of teenage Sukhvinder Jawanda, the compassion and dedication of social worker Kay Bawden and the anger of Andrew Price.

The most heartbreaking character is Krystal Wheedon, a teenager from the Fields. Her mother, Terri, is a drug addict and a mess of a mother to Krystal and her younger brother Robbie. Their father is non-existent; their house is basically uninhabitable; and their basic needs in life, like food and parenting, are hardly met. However, before his death, Fairbrother takes Krystal under his guidance when she joins the school rowing team, and his significance, though she often denies it, is profound on her life. My heart ached for Krystal. Though she was only a character on a page, I so badly wished she would get the help she deserved and make a better life for herself and her brother.

Rowling does not fail to produce a thought-provoking, introspective novel. Like the Harry Potter stories, the true message often lies below the surface, waiting for the readers to discover it themselves on their own terms. In The Casual Vacancy, Rowling demonstrates the downfall of society: the darker side of human nature that consists of selfishness and resentment, along with the inability to get past one's own bias and do something to make a necessary change in the broader community.

Rowling's novel exposes the bitter, raw truth of human beings. They can be absolutely terrible and sometimes truly maniacal. They can let minor disagreements fracture their community and even their own families. Within the novel, Rowling deals with incredibly sensitive issues, including child abuse, rape, addiction, depression, death and religious intolerance; in response, it is an emotionally heavy novel that exemplifies actions and values usually seen as deplorable in society. Despite the fact that the novel gained its fame from its author rather than its plotline, it is still a worthwhile and insightful read.

It is no stroke of genius or a Pulitzer Prize-winner, but Rowling's legendary voice cannot be ignored. As in Harry Potter, the characters spring to life off the pages and you are drawn into the mystical world she deftly creates. The Casual Vacancy may not involve magic wands, flying cars or evil wizards, but this Muggle world still invokes a critical human truth about society while engaging the reader in the journey of the small town.