Recently, the administration has commented in emails to the student body on the detriment of parties and drinking off-campus. This board recognizes that a simple solution to this issue does not exist. College students have and will continue to use alcohol, and, unfortunately, sometimes this happens in an irresponsible fashion. However, correcting a current lack of suitable on-campus entertainment venues offers a potential step in the right direction.

The Stein, Ollie's and Cholmondeley's are not what they used to be. While Chum's has a rich history, the coffee shop has since lost its draw and appeal. While various coffeehouses by campus clubs and some WBRS concerts are popular among the student body, Chum's often struggles to draw a crowd without them. Revamped menus, furniture, service and overall atmosphere are desperately needed to effectively reestablish Chum's as a premier on-campus location.

The Stein and Ollie's offer a restaurant-style setting that is a unique feature on campus. However, slow service often deters students from returning after their first visit. It is often understaffed with cooks, yet overstaffed with waiters and waitresses, making food habitually late. Management should restructure the organization of the restaurant to help the service flow better. Most importantly, by initiating promotions such as a happy hours or more frequent "Thirsty Thursdays," The Stein would provide students with similar opportunities as presented by off-campus parties.

Students who may otherwise have abused alcohol off campus might instead spend their time in a safer, equally entertaining atmosphere.  

While once thriving venues, The Stein, Ollie's and Chum's are now unsuccessful ventures sitting on a trove of unrealized potential. But with a conscious reinvigoration of the atmosphere and changing our attitudes about these venues we can restore them to their former glory.
*