With the general election less than a month away, there is not much time left to register to vote in what is many Brandesians' first presidential election. According to the Center for Information and Research on Civic Learning and Engagement, in 2008, a record 130 million voters participated in the presidential election, but only 50 percent of eligible people ages 18 to 29 took part.
As the decisions made in this general election will affect each and every one of us, it is extremely important for students to register and have their voices heard.

Throughout the semester, representatives from Sen. Scott Brown's (R-MA) and senate nominee Elizabeth Warren's campaigns have tabled at Brandeis, urging all who are qualified to register to vote, regardless of party affiliation.

Various politically affiliated clubs on campus-such as College Democrats and the Brandeis Libertarian Conservative Union-have also held voter registration drives where students, faculty and staff could register to take part in the upcoming presidential election.

In an effort to bring the campus together, the College Democrats held a viewing party for the first presidential debate, which took place last Wednesday. Perhaps another on-campus group could take the initiative and put together a viewing for the vice presidential debate taking place this Thursday and the future presidential debates as well.

As the election draws closer, clubs affiliated with different parties could consider holding a bipartisan event to inform Brandesians of the issues and candidates that will appear on their ballots. Such an event would ease some of the apathy felt by students who have not made an effort to learn anything about the candidates.It could possibly help increase the percentage of people voting in our age group because people are more likely to vote if they are more informed.

The deadline to register to vote in Massachusetts is Oct. 17, the deadline for New York is Oct. 12, the deadline for New Jersey is Oct. 16, and the deadline for California is Oct. 22.

Each state has varying deadlines for requesting an absentee ballot, but requests for most states must be postmarked by late October.

Another option for anyone who misses this deadline is to register to vote in Massachusetts and then vote in person on Nov. 6.

Though the reason for low voter turnout among 18 to 29-year-olds is unclear, it may be because young people believe their vote ultimately does not matter. However, with the close Congressional race this year between Brown and Warren, the Massachusetts senate election has the ability to influence Congress' political leanings.

While our University can be divisive when it comes to political issues, there is a general consensus when it comes to voting: It is our right as citizens to take part in elections, and because the issues our representatives will face affect all of us, we should do what we can to get the people who best represent us into office.
*