This past week, Janna Cohen-Rosenthal '03 announced that she would be leaving her position as sustainability coordinator in the Department of Facilities Services to pursue a MBA in non-profit management this fall at the Heller School of Social Policy and Management.

In an email to the Justice, Cohen-Rosenthal said she enjoyed being the first sustainability coordinator. "We have launched numerous sustainability programs-focusing on projects that measurably reduce environmental impact while at the same time improve the quality of life on campus and expand opportunities for student learning," she wrote.

Cohen wrote about her accomplishments as sustainability coordinator. "Projects included one of the largest solar electricity arrays in Massachusetts, an innovative Eco-Rep program, transitioning to single stream recycling, a large CSA farm membership, over $100,000 in student led sustainability project funding through the Brandeis Sustainability Fund (BSF), investing millions in energy upgrades through the new Sustainable Energy Program, and much more," Cohen-Rosenthal continued.

As the University's first sustainability coordinator, Cohen-Rosenthal was responsible for overseeing several on-campus sustainability initiatives as well as co-chairing and advising the BSF.

She created the Campus Sustainability Initiative, a collaboration of students, departments, and faculty sponsored and housed in Facilities Services working together to reduce Brandeis' environmental impact.

When asked why she had decided to pursue a graduate degree, Cohen-Rosenthal said that she has always wanted to continue her studies.

"In March, my husband and I had a beautiful baby girl, so in this big time of life transitions, it felt like a good time to move on to new pursuits," she continued.

When asked how she plans to use her master's degree, Cohen-Rosenthal wrote about the exciting opportunities she will encounter in the upcoming year.

"I want to use this year to explore and learn more. Prior to working at Brandeis, I worked in renewable energy development and marketing. I may look into non-profit/mission driven organizational management in a wide range of social topics."

"Since I was an undergraduate at Brandeis, I have been a firm believer in making your working life reflect your life values. I am excited to gain new skills to further these goals," she continued.

Cohen-Rosenthal commented in her email to the Justice that the University is committed to hiring a new sustainability coordinator in the near future.

"I enjoyed being the first "Sustainability Coordinator" for Brandeis University for the past 4 ? years," she wrote.

Cohen-Rosenthal expects to graduate from the Heller School in August 2013.