Brandeis has long been a school of active, lively individuals, but rarely has that energy manifested itself as school spirit.

In that light, this editorial board commends students, faculty and staff for their recent collective effort to revitalize spirit on campus and bring the community together.

Brandeis earned a spot in the final six of a competition to host the TODAY Show due in large part to the effort put in by students. Rachel Nelson '13 and Reed Zuckerman '13 got the idea off the ground, and hundreds of students took to social media to support the cause. After Brandeis reached the final round of voting, a huge crowd showed up to a nationally televised rally wearing Brandeis colors and showing far more school spirit than has been seen in recent years.

This spirit extended beyond the television screen.

The men's soccer team has had its best start to a season since 1986, racing out to an 8-0 record and a national ranking. But it is not just the team that has improved as of late; the crowds at games have been noticeably larger this year. At last Wednesday's home game against local rival Babson College, several hundred students rushed the field after the team won in double overtime. Sports Information Director Adam Levin '94 called it "one of the biggest and most spirited crowds that [he] could remember."

It is not just the students who have stepped up; the new administration has shown great enthusiasm and participation in student activities, which has had a significant impact on school spirit. While the TODAY Show campaign may have been Nelson and Zuckerman's initiative, Senior Vice President for Student Enrollment Andrew Flagel, University President Frederick Lawrence and other administrators were hugely supportive of the idea.

We understand that we are not a large school and that we do not place much emphasis on sports or school spirit, but the soccer game and TODAY Show created a source of support that has been largely absent from athletics events and community gatherings in recent years.

Brandeis is a community of passionate people who are frequently active in the community.

But the TODAY Show rally and men's soccer game showcased a different type of character: school pride. The University often lacks a forum for a unified expression of our passion, and pro-Brandeis spirit has been largely absent in recent years. We hope that the students, faculty and staff at Brandeis can build off of this and continue to exhibit such enthusiasm, recognizing that support for both social justice and the Brandeis Judges go hand in hand.