At last week's Faculty meeting, Prof. Harry Mairson (COSI) expressed his concerns and relayed those of other faculty members about recruiting a new chief operating officer, Steven Manos, to oversee and steer the University's budget and financial operations. Prof. Mairson was upset that another top-level administrator with a six-figure salary was hired while the University continues to struggle financially. He also raised issue with the lack of transparency during the brief hiring process. Mr. Manos was recruited without an announced search or search committee toward the end of the summer and without some of the faculty's knowledge.

Like Prof. Mairson, we would like to understand the circumstances that led to Mr. Manos being appointed to the COO position. We wonder if Manos' hire is indicative of a larger financial issue at the University.

Prior to his five-year retirement, Mr. Manos served as the executive vice president at Tufts University. Mr. Manos is well known in the educational community for his role in helping Tufts University stabilize their finances and come out of their deficit. According to Tufts' website, during his tenure Mr. Manos helped to eliminate a $3 million deficit. In a similar situation as Tufts University once was, the University itself is operating at a deficit. Mr. Manos' experience will undoubtedly help the University solidify its financial situation.

The administration is not obligated to reveal every measure of its decision-making process. While Mr. Manos will certainly be an asset to the administration, his hire at this time raises concerns over the full extent of the University's financial predicament.
*