Andrew Gully, senior vice president for communications and external affairs, will resign his post at Brandeis University June 15 to become senior vice president, worldwide director of communications for Sotheby's, an international art auction house, on July 16.

"Sotheby's is such a leader in the art business and such an esteemed company that it's a great opportunity and hard to pass up," said Gully in an interview with the Justice.
"We wish him well and this is a great adventure for him and a great next step for him, but he will be terribly missed. He's done a wonderful job for us since he came on board," said University President Frederick Lawrence in an interview with the Justice.

Brandeis' Office of Communications will be run by its current staff, led by Associate Vice President for Communications Bill Burger and in coordination with the Office of the President, according to Lawrence and Gully.

A search process for a new senior vice president for communications and external affairs will be announced shortly, said Gully. Lawrence added that Gully's resignation provides an opportunity for the University to evaluate its communications needs because "the whole world of communications is changing so rapidly."

"The successful candidate [for senior vice president for communication and external affairs] will be someone who is a strategic thinker and a team player who is very comfortable in the world of digital media," wrote Senior Vice President and Chief of Staff David Bunis in an email to the Justice.

Gully became familiar with Sotheby's through Brandeis' connection with the institution in the wake of the Board of Trustee's 2009 decision to sell artwork from the Rose Art Museum. Sotheby's asked Gully earlier this year if he would apply for the communications director position, he said. He applied and went through a series of interviews before he was selected to fill the role.

"I'm really excited about the opportunity at Sotheby's, but I will always have a great affection for Brandeis," said Gully. "It's been an amazing two-and-a-half years here and it really was a pleasure to work at Brandeis."

Gully began working at the University in November 2009 under then University President Jehuda Reinharz. He dealt with the aftermath of the Board's decision to sell artwork from the Rose and remained when Lawrence replaced Reinharz in 2011.

"He did a terrific job in his first major project-which predates me-dealing with the aftermath of the Rose Art Museum, and then throughout his time he has been terrific in all capacities, especially as a good judgment person," said Lawrence.

The University has also made "arrangements" with Boston firm Rasky Baerlein Strategic Communications, Inc, "if circumstances require the services of an outside communications consultant," according to an email announcement from Lawrence.

Gully graduated with a Bachelor of Arts degree from Northeastern University and worked as a reporter and editor at the Boston Herald for 21 years before beginning work at Boston branding firm Kelley Habib John. He came to Brandeis in 2009 from Sovereign Bank, part of the Santander Group, where he headed Corporate Affairs.
*